UBC Psych 207 non-cumulative Final Notes.pdf

8 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PSYC 207
Michael De Souza

Lecture 30 Schizophrenia -its not multiple personalities disorder -affects more men than women Symptoms: -positive symptoms: (is there but it should NOT be, excess) -delusions and hallucinations: bizarre irrational thinking; very real to a person with schizophrenia but not to normal people. Experience things in the environment thats not really there. Hear things as well; more common than see things. Often the things they see or hear its something bad. -disorganized speech: communicate with them its hard because they always change topics -disorganized behavior: do things that are inappropriate socially. -negative symptoms: like depressions (things should be present that are absent) -hedonic: if I am hedonic I am seeking pleasure things, but people that are anhedonic they dont. -Cognitive symptoms: -too much dopamine in the frontal lobe -have executive dysfunction -have problems with frontal lobe; ex: working memory Schizophrenia: subtypes -paranoid type: delusions and hallucinations. Excess of positive symptoms -disorgnaized type: have trouble focusing on goals and carrying them out. Damage to the frontal lobe. -catatonic type: stop moving completely. Extreme in movements -undifferentiated type: people with schizophrenia but dont fit into any subtype above Schizophrenia: onset and course -diathesis stress model of psychological illness -genetic predisposition -combination the genetic predisposition and amount of stress -rarely happens in children. -prodromal phase: somewhere between normal and schizophrenia. If you will get schizophrenia or not. -drugs that helped -25% completely recover -25% much improved, relatively independent -25% improved but require extensive support -15% hospitalized, unimproved -10% dead (mostly suicide) -schizophrenia patients are likely to hurt themselves Schizophrenia: treatment -anti-psychotic medication -clozaril, risperdal, abilify, seroquel -less dopamine but cannot have too low because it will be like parkinson's disease -Behavioral therapy -social skills training (schizophrenia patients have trouble communicating with people) -behavioral family therapy (help the family) -electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) -last resort (this damage the brain, memory loss) because of the hippocampus. -tend to lift the negative symptoms and suppress the positive symptoms Mood disorders -major depressive disorder - Major depressive Disorder (aka unipolar depression) -sadness (very sad and for a long period of time) -anhedonia (do not seek out pleasure) -change in sleep (sleep too much or not enough) -change in appetite (eat too much or too little) -psychomotor agitation/retardation -fatigue, loss of energy -feelings of worthlessness, excessive guilt -decreased ability to think, concentrate -indecisivness -suicidality Dysthymia (last longer and less sadness) -chronically depressed mood for 2+ years -less severe but last longer Major depression and dysthymia: onset and course -major depression -mid 20s -lifetime risk: 10 to 25% (female) 5 to 12% (male -Dysthymia -more likely to develop major depression - Bipolar disorder (I and II) -BPD-I: Mania -inflated self esteem: grandiosity (better than anyone, greater than anyone) -decreased need for sleep
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 207

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.