Sociology
Course
SOCI 240
Professor
Silvia Bartolic
Semester
Winter

Description
Midterm 2: The following will be covered on midterm 2: Sandstrom et al. Chapters 4, 5 and 6 Holstein et al. pages: 107-138, 161-176, 79-94, 204-226, 245-267, 341-380, 384-404, 419-427 PPT # 5, 6, 9, 8 Definition of Self Self has a distinct meaning from the symbolic interactionist perspective -Not the same as identity, actor, personality -Self is an object of the actor’s own action Self as a social Object -Arises out of social interaction: individual sees herself as an object in the environment through interaction with others -View self indirectly from other’s point of view Stages in the Development of Self: 1) Preparatory Stage: Mead -Child imitates adult -Imitation lacks meaning or symbolic understanding -Social objects not yet defined or understood with words that have meaning to the child 2) Play Stage: Mead -Occurs during language acquisition -Label and define objects with words that have shared meaning -Child takes the perspective of specific individuals(significant others) with whom he/she identifies(usually parents) -Only takes perspective of one significant other at a time 3) Game Stage: Mead -Occurs around age 4-5 -Necessity of assuming perspective of several others simultaneously -Knowing one’s position in relation to a complex set of others -Incorporate all significant others into one “generalized other”(them, society) -Self becomes defined by the individual AND by them(internalization of society) -Important for consistency in action ex: playing house, seeing different perspectives such as mom, dad, brother, dog Reference Groups: Shibutani -Individual interacts with many different groups of individuals -Have several reference group -Significant others become a complex mixture of generalized others with separate social worlds 1. Self Communication -actor talks to him/herself -thoughts 2. Self Perception Assessment of our own action -Self is present in all situations we are in -Cannot hide anything from yourself ex: having another person follow you around 24/7 Self-Concept -The stable picture we have of ourselves -Not fixed but stable overtime and situations -Influences what we do in every situation -Can be changed Self-Judgement -Often called self-esteem -Appraisal of ourselves -Results from social interaction Identity -The name we call ourselves -The social location of an individual- where one is situated in relation to others -Identities are labels used by reference groups and significant others of the individual -Three levels of identity are basic(age,sex), general(roles), independent(soccer player, dancer) -Turner states core identities are ‘real selves’ 3. Self Control: -Able to control our own actions -Social rules become the standards by which individuals control his or her actions Thoughts on I and ME “I” self as subject -The beginning of an act -Untouched by society -Impulsive, creative “Me” self as object -Completes the act Mind Action: -Thinking is what symbolic interactionists call “mind” The “I” self: Three Important scholars -impulsive, creative 1) William James: Father of modern psychology -Supported by William James -Doesn’t differ too much day- -Principles of Psychology (1892) day -Introduced basic notion of psychology, among them the notion of SELF -Grounded in subjective experience -Personality comprised of two elements The “I” self: the self as knower, recognized as continuing in time, identity -Only one who places us in the “I” self The “Me” self: the self as known, the social self The “Me” Self: Material self: sense of ownership -Material: sense of ownership (my car, house) Social self: our felt social relations -Social: our felt social relations Spiritual self: our feelings -Spiritual: our feelings Other Important Contributions to Self Theory: -The notion of many social selves -The notion of self-esteem -Differentiating ideal selves and real selves 2) Charles Cooley: -Self and Society 3) George Mead: Father of Sociology -Mind, Self and Society (1934) Gender - Gender has no situational context, therefore gender is not a role or set of traits, but rather
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 240

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit