Study Guides (331,003)
CA (147,177)
UFV (10)
GDS (1)
Final

GDS 100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Amartya Sen, Sustainable Development Goals, Headquarters Of The United NationsPremium

4 pages69 viewsFall 2015

Department
Global Development Studies
Course Code
GDS 100
Professor
Cherrie Enns
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
When people think of a ‘developing country’, they automatically think of countries that
need to be turned into what we are accustomed to seeing in North America, or a more
westernized country. Development does not necessarily mean modernization; the definition of
development to me means working on the priorities that a specific country wants met; instead of
trying to change a country’s culture or norms, we should build upon them to strengthen them. In
section 1.6 Jennifer A. Elliot states that a developing country should feel “empowered to shape
their own developmental priorities”. I agree with that completely; we should not force others to
bend to our norms just for aid because we have the power to do so as a more developed country.
Patricia Northover in section 1.7 believes that people differ in the ability to translate resources
into proper functionings. One individual may see a resource differently than another. When we
take the time to pay proper attention to what others offer, and what they are capable of as an
individual and a country as a whole, it helps to “distinguish between the unfreedom and
deprivation of a starving child and the liberty of a fasting monk” (section 1.7). Development
does not automatically means modernization and making a developing country into a sort of
‘mini North America’ is not what development is supposed to be working towards. Instead it
should be looking at what the countries bring to the table and what needs work, and then
assisting those countries in order to achieve something great. Just because we hold the power in
our hands and have the ability to assist a developing country, it does not give us the right to
change a country’s cultures and norms because we please to. We should instead strengthen and
enrich the culture which is what I believe development is all about.
The road to development has not been an easy one to say the least, and there is still a lot
as a global community we could and can do. There are many different perspectives when it
comes to critiquing the road to development, with so many different theories, statistics and
information coming in from every available source. Christiane Loper’s article demonstrates that
the post-development till now has started to build a “rich academic foothold”. In the article, I
took away from it that we should not view the human rights as limitations, but opportunities that
with the help of the human rights, will make the development agenda successful. In the article, it
also rejects the concept of universalism; which I do not agree with. In my opinion, we do not
need to be all the same. It is better to have different cultures and ways of thinking, as more brains
is better than one when thinking of a solution to a problem or issue. The TED Talks speaker
stated his opinion that ‘the world is going backwards’, but for me I do not necessarily think so.
We have made so many advances in many different fields that has helped people across the
world. With the 2030 Development Goals targeting many different issues all at once, it is
important to consider and question the affects the goals will have on the gap between the rich
and poor in certain areas of the world. The post-development goals have the potential to raise the
standard of living across the world; but how easily will people in better living standards let go of
controlling the economics, power and their way of doing certain things for the ‘greater good of
the world’? At the end of the article we had to read, Lopers writes, “post-development means the
destruction of so-called truths as well as the encouragement of engagement…”. By keeping an
open mind we can come up with new ideas and ways of succeeding. We need to as a global
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Subscribers Only

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.