PLATO (LECTURE 3)
I – The philosopher : justifying his entitlement to rule….
II - … and explaining why he does not rule: image of the ship (487d) & the importance of the environment
III – Plato’s “Enlightenment project”: - the allegory of the cave
* coming out of the cave: the educational process
IV – Plato’s “science of regimes” (book VIII): a few key principles.
V – The problems with oligarchies and democracies
- any redeeming quality to democracy?
VI – A few words on the tyrant…. (book IX)
I – Plato vs. Aristotle. How different?
* Aristotle’s life in brief.
II - Book I : the polis as the most perfect community.
- purposes served by the household
- the significance of “Man is by nature a political animal”
III - A’s defense of slavery.
IV - Aristotle on m