MY WEEKLY SUMMARY:
WHAT IS PSYCHOLOGY?
A science and an extensive ﬁeld of research touching every aspect of human life.
WHY SCIENCE? WHY CAN’T WE RELY ON OUR INTUITION?
1. Our common-sense is limited because it is learned knowledge.
2. Hindsight bias- “the I knew it all along” idea but we cannot predict the outcome of something
without knowing all the facts.
3. Humans tent to be over conﬁdent.
4. illusory correlations- humans tend to perceive relations between things without there actually
being a link.
5. Perceiving order in random events-humans don’t like to be uncertain so we look for and create
patterns even when there are none!
WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC ATTITUDE?
3. Skepticism- asking smart questions, not believing everything blindly.
4. Awareness- of own bias & try to eliminate them.
5. Humility- accepting that we all make mistakes
6. Cautiousness- with how we interpret our results.
WHAT IS THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD?
A self correcting way to ask questions and get natural
WHAT IS A THEORY?
It explains behaviours & events by offering
ideas or predictions in an organized and
summarized way. Good theories produce
WHAT IS A HYPOTHESIS?
A testable prediction.