POL114H5 Study Guide - Final Guide: Environmental Degradation, Human Security, Hegemonic Stability Theory
2 pages86 viewsFall 2012
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Week 4 – political economy
- What international political economy is.. why did we study it in politics. Why didn’t we study it
- Approaches and understandings of political economy... realist, nationalist, liberal and sub
categories, Marxist... dependencies theory
- Hegemonic stability theory.. different understandings
- Breten woods institutions – key liberal institutions..... g7, g8, g20 groups
Week 6 – post cold war conflict
- Coming anarchy article, caplan article – what is the central argument, 4 new threats to security,
- Different conceptions of security and conflict.
- Rise of intrastate communal conflict
- Theorizing the origins of war
- Rise of intrastate conflict – caplans article... text says 8 factors
Week 7 – international organizations and law
- Definition of international organizations and what they do
- United nations and the league of nations... compositions – what they looked like. Some
comprehension of the history – both reaction of the world wars. Effectiveness – sometimes
effective... some successes.
- International law – some stuff presented in the text. Where does it come from. The origins of
international laws. Limits of international law. Where do i stand with international law.
Week 8 – terrorism
- How did we get to post 911 world and where are we now.
- What is new, what is different... what is this distinct obsession.
- 4 definitions from scholars... some idea of what terrorism is.
- Rich history of terrorism in the textbook
- 6 Origins and causes of non-state terrorism
- Case study of 911
- Combating terrorism
Week 9 – human rights
- East – west divide of individual and collective rights of human rights, relative vs universal
- Relationship between human rights and governments, States becoming obstacles to human
- Human rights and war – just war. What is the specific place of law and war
- Genocide. What is it.... what are the debates surrounding action and inaction.... Yugoslavia...
- Role of non-governmental organizations
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.