RLG101H5 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Mircea Eliade, Ishvara, Firmament
PART A: LECTURE NOTES
1. Max Muller:
– In 1948 he taught European language and literature at Oxford University.
- He also translated the 6 volumes of the Rigveda
- The founding father of the Religionswissenschaft which is the science of
religion it stressed the linguistical study of textual sources.
- Edited sacred books of the east (50vols)
- Founded Phenomenological
- Studied Indian philosophy under S.N Dasgupta
- Brought together linguistical analysis of texts: anthropological and sociological
studies principle writings
- Founded a new international journal of comparative historical studies called
“History of religion”
Wilfred C. Smith:
- studied comparative scriptures
- published the meaning and end of religion, stressed the end of “ism”
- founded the institute of Islamic studies at McGill University published Islam in
2. Characteristics of god in Genesis 1:
- created earth (cosmos) from chaos
- God Elohim is Plural;
-he is the 1st cause (spiritual principle) because if God was created, God
would not be God.
- efficient cause not material cause, which meant that he did not come from
- God is transcended but God is Imminent in his revelation meaning that God
revealed himself to us through the Prophets but remained apart from us.
3. symbolism of water in Genesis 1:
- is Chaos, which is a monster or as the qualities of coldness, sterlity, quiescence,
repression and restraint, the situation which inhibits creation.
- it was a blend of pre-existent matter to which God eventually brought order
- Potter – Pot, where clay was made into a pot that of which can be compared to
the story of genesis where water (chaos) was built into a firmament that brought
about order to the cosmos.
5. Tehom: Deep waters that can be called Chaos
Tiamat: Wicket dragon
Tiamat the wicked dragon enters a battle with Markuk (God of Wind), Marduk
sliced Tiamat and separated her body into the water at the top and below (Heaven
and Earth) and this theoretical myth symbolizes God exposing himself in the
beginning and separated the water above from the water below creating the heaven
and the earth.
6. Story of Creation: from And God said…
- God first created light from his words out of nothingness and he saw that the
light the light was good. Second, God created a firmament (Dome) in the midst
of the water to separate the waters from the waters and he called the water
above, Heaven and he gather water below which is the dry land and called it
7. Theory of Time:
- the Quote In the Beginning implies that time is a linear factor ie. There is a
beginning and an end of time. Unlike the Hindus who believe in Cyclical
timeline. There is a creation and an end to time.
8. The fruit of what Tree: the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil
He must not eat the fruit because:
- he would DIE and also that would become a direct defiance of Gods order.
The word to Die does not mean death of Adam but meaning that Adams
innocence would be diminished bringing about the sin of humanity.
9. Symbol of Serpent: was pre-existent evil meaning that it was evil by nature. This
automatically cause an assumption that God must of created Evil since it is to our
understanding that God was the creator of all. However, in Christianity and Islam
the serpent symbolizes Iblis (Satan). But as Christianity and Islamic religion put it,
the Fallen Angel (Devil) created Evil.
10. characteristics of God in the laws of Manu:
- he was a spiritual principle
- often refered to as a Male either Ishvara or Vishnu
- he was the first and the efficient cause and material cause
- Difference was that in genesis 1, God was not the material cause meaning
no one created God.
11. Symbol of Waters in laws of Manu means:
-the water represents the Goddess which is a womb (material cause) that
contained the seed of Bramah the creator of everything within the cosmos
(stars, moon). The water also symbolizes the chaos.
12. symbolism of the Seed:
- was the spirit of the God Ishvara. The seed became the Golden Egg, like the sun
in Splendor. Within that egg the cosmos was Born and within that egg Brahma
(singular) the lesser God than Ishvara and Devi was the first born of creation.
13. Theory of time - SAMSARA:
- is the concept of cyclical time meaning the rebirth of the cosmos where the
cosmos is created and destroyed and re-created again an infinite number of
Basic Mathematical Unit- MAHAYUGA:
- meaning one creation and destruction cycle of the planet earth that is equal
to 8,640,000 human years (also known as the cosmic formula).
-This Cosmic formula then can be understood as… 8,640,000 human years is
equivalent to ONE full day in the life of Brahma (or life of cosmos) multiply
by 360 (days/year) EQUALS to one year in the life of Brahma; since Brahma
lives 100 years, the cosmos then is created and Destroyed in cycles of
311,040,000,000 Human years.
14. Characteristic of BHAKTI YOGA- in Ramanuja’s RING OF LOVE:
- Is the discipline of divine love and is open to ALL and is in union with God
Ishvara and Goddess Devi. The freedom of Bhakta to make first offering of
faith and love but ultimately is release through Moksha at death which meant
the rebirth of soul; and the release from the cycle of Samsara.
- However, those who receives Moksha is dependent upon the Grace and Love of
- Also a life long process
15. Prophetic experiences characteristics:
- It is Mysterium- that which is Mysterious is the Wholly Other that is beyond the
sphere of the usual, it is intelligible and familiar, therefore falls outside the
limits of the Canny and filling the mind with blank wonder and astonishment; it
is those that is beyond what humans could imagine.
- It is also Tremendum – the element of awefulness and absolute
overpoweringness. When men feel the creatureness-like feelings of himself
overagainst his creator. Total submergence into nothingness before an
overpowering, absolute, wholly other God.
- i.e. best Prophetic Experience is Moses at Sinai Mountain.
Mystical experiences characteristics: (2 types)
-Introvertive – inward mediation into the mind and transcending it to a mystical
experience of unitary consciousness where all conceptual or other empirical
content has been excluded so that there is a Void and Empty unity.Where the
soul or inner essence becomes one with the ultimate reality transcending space
-Extrovertive – outward looking through the senses at the world of multiplicity,
When a sudden flash occur to let one see beyond the world of multiplicity to a
unifying vision affirmation of a universal core.