RLG PAST EXAM QUESTIONS
1. How does Fatima mernissi problematize the hadith tradition in a traditon of
misogyny? What evidence and arguments does she employ in the process?
2. One of the central concerns in Islamic theology has been the role of reason in
Islam. Discuss with reference to specific schools of theology and specific
movements, some of the approaches to human reason by different
thinkers/schools. Be sure to reference what the implications of having a larger or
smaller role for human reason entails when developing a theology and why this
question was so important in different stages of Islamic thinking.
3. What are the quraninc guidelines for compiling and articulating Islamic laws that
pertain to daily lives of Muslims?
4. Discuss how Sufism has influenced our understanding of Islam and the relation
between human beings and god. According to suism and its various proponents,
what is the heart of the religion of Islam, what is it that should truly matter to the
believer? You must draw on the readings in order to provide evidence and argue
for any claims made.
5. Explain abdulaziz sachedina’s understanding of democracy. How does he
reconcile the demands of democracy with the Islamic traditions of governance as
outlined in schimmel and waardenburg readings?
6. Explain how the concept of sharia’a has evolved since the time of prophet
Muhammad. Make sure to clearly distinguish the sources of law used in
resolution of conflicts then and now in your response.
7. What are the prophet’s achievements in medina? Explain at least eight
8. According to the holy Quran, what is the path to paradise for Muslims?
9. Discuss the role of “human” in Sufism and explain its relation to the “divine trust”
10. Discuss the current difficulties and challenges in studying Islam as religion, and
as a major event in history.
11. Many Islamic scholars argue that the spirit of Islam is about “social justice”.
Discuss and elaborate