Study Questions for Second Half of Term
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture Five- Policing Questions
1.What percentile of the CJS funding goes towards police forces?
- The police force is one of the largest items within the CJS which receives a large
amount of funding from government agencies. They receive approximately 60%
of the CJS funding. This equates to approximately $300.00 per person annually.
2.Name the four levels of policing
-There are four levels of policing: Federal level (RCMP- Royal Canadian Mounted
Police), Provincial Police ( this includes three different provincial police levels),
municipal police (peel region) and First Nation Police.
- First nation policing..
* Derived from the RCMP and OPP.
* The type of policing within first nations is negotiated through the community
* Responsibilities: Band bylaw, federal statutes, provincial statutes
* First nation policing are responsible for policing on reserves.
3. What is another alternative to policing which are recently emerged?
- Private security policing has recently emerged within the past decade.
- There are more private security officer then there are of actual police officers
- Responsibilities: Crowd control, 911 calls, policing, private in-mall security.
- There has been a concern/uncertainty in regards to private security legal authority
in contrast to actually police officers.
- It has been claimed that private security officers have the same legal authority as an
ordinary citizen. This means that they are not above the law.
- When making an arrest, private security officers much adhere to the provisions of the
Charter of Rights and Freedom.
-Due to the underpayment of private security officers, this has acted as an attractive
method towards policing, for government officials.
- Downfall: Private police officers are not trained adequately enough to deal with the
public, they undergo a 3 day training compared to officers who undergo a full
year of training.
4. List five functions of the police
1. Preserve the peace
2. Prevent crimes and offences
3. Assist victims of crime
6. Execute Warrants
5. What 4 factors impact a police officer’s discretion to arrest?
1. Seriousness of the offence—this is reliant upon the officers discretion of what is
categorized as being “serious”
2.Strength of the evidence
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version