MARX AND THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO
1) The Law of Increasing Misery
• What is it?
• The workers’ wages will decrease
• the number of miserable people will increase in capitalist society
• More proletariat (working class) is subjected to exploitation, increasing their
number and lowering the standard of living (worst standard of living).
• Expansion of Global Capitalism = Everyone is subjected to exploitation
2) What are the stages of History in Marxism?
• Primitive Communism ( Marx’ state of nature) (1)
• Ancient Slavery (2)
• Feudalism (3)
• Capitalism (4)
• Revolution= Communism (5)- You are only subjected to class expoitation, and
forces of nature= TOTAL FREEDOM= Profits through scientific advancements,
• Characteristics of history? What goes on in each one?
o Common in 2,3,4= there’s CLASSES AND EXPLOITATION EXIST.
Politics exist. Working class is alienated.
o Common in 1, 5= no classes/ classless paradise, no state in these
• Politics exist in stages 2, 3,4 exists to justify the exploitation between classes.
3) How does history moves forward? (from one stage to the next)
• Through revolution. However, there is no real liberation : it is only a change/
movement within the stage of history • Through technological advancements hold by better “rulers”
• There is no cycle. Once you reach stage 5, you stay there (it’s your final goal)
4) False Consciousness? What is it? Why is it important?
• Rationalizations that hides the truth of economic system.
• You don’t understand which class you think you belong because of false
consciousness (through private property, work sanctions)
• It legitimized e