Communication and Ethics: SOC284
Lecture Three: Jan. 20. 2011
AGENTS OF CENSORSHIP (CONTINUED FROM LAST LECTURE).
1. Specialized government institutions (censorship boards)
2. Other governmental agencies (post office, customs, school board).
3. Cf. Reichman: Teachers guided by professional standards are engaged in
4. Non-governmental organisations (publicly accountable)
Canadian board caste council.
Women movements, racial movement organizations are all non-
There are many organizations which act as moral entrepreneurs in order to
their views incorporated within censoring certain content.
5. Production Code: and the rating system of the motion picture producers
A list of rules which were distributed to PRODUCERS which illustrated
a producer must not incorporate within their movies.
Example: Crime, suggested pornography was a part of these rules
Within the 1959, the foreigners were making much more money because
not have the production code enacted. Therefore the Americans got rid of
production code and used a Rating system (which lead to a increase
in profit, and
only restricted certain ages, as opposed to a wide population).
Wal-Mart and PMRC (Parents, music, resource, council): Are the largest
retailers of music
and within the U.S.
The mail goal of PMRS was to protect children from deviant content.
Because the government will not use PMRS criteria for censorship;
because it would
violate the first amendment. The PMRS decided to go to non-
like Wal-mart; suggesting not to carry must of inappropriate content.