CHMA11H3 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbon Tetrachloride, Torr
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Multiple choice. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or
answers the question.
1) When a liquid is in equilibrium with its vapor in a closed container:
a) The rate at which molecules from the liquid phase enter the gas phase exactly
equals the rate at which molecules from the gas phase pass into the liquid phase
b) The amount of gas in the container must exactly equal the amount of liquid
c) The vapor will gradually change back to the liquid state, that is, no vapor will be left.
d) A change in temperature will not change the pressure in the container
e) Molecules cannot go from the liquid phase to the gas phase because the amount of
liquid in the container is constant.
2) A liquid has an normal boiling point of 78oC and its vapor pressure is 400 mmHg at
50oC. To compute the molar heat of vaporization, one needs:
a) The mole weight
b) The specific heat
c) The vapor pressure at another temperature
d) Nothing , enough information is given
e) None of these
3) The relationship between the vapor pressure of a liquid and temperature can be
expressed by the Clausius-Clapeyron Equation:
Ln[P2/P1] = [
Ethanol (C2H5OH) has a normal boiling point of 78.3oC and
Hvap=39.3 kJ/mol. What
is the vapor pressure of ethanol at 50.0oC? Note that 1 atm = 760 torr.
a) 234 torr B) 670 torr c) 118 torr D)354 torr e)485 torr
4) A substance has a heat of fusion of 61.5 kJ/mol and a heat of deposition of -167.4
kJ/mol. What is the heat of sublimation in kJ/mol?
a) -61.5 b) -105.9 c) 228.9 D)167.4
5) Arrange the following compounds in order of increasing boiling point: I 1-propanol,
(structure CH3Ch2Ch2OH); II 1,2-propanediol, (CH3CH(OH)CH2OH); III 1,2,3-
propanetriol, (glycerol, with structure HOCH2CH(OH)CH2OH)
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
a) III,II,I b) II,III,I c) I,III,II d) I,II,III E) III,
6) In a particular unit cell, all sides areequal in length and all angles are right angles. There
is an atom at each corner and one at the center of each side. Which statement is true?
a) This is a body-Centered cubic cell containing 4 atoms
b) This is an fcc with 2 atoms per unit cell
c) This is a simple cubic cell
d) This has 4 atoms per unit cell
e) None of these
7) A solution prepared by dissolving 4.00g KCl in 36.0g H2O is said to be:
a) 0.100% KCl by mass
b) 0.111% KCl by mass
c) 11.1% KCl by mass
d) 9.00% KCl by mass
e) 10..0% KCl by mass
8)A 1.00 molal solution of NaCl in water contains:
a) 1.00 mol NaCl per 1000.0 mL solution
b)1.00 mol NaCl per 1000.0 g H2O
c) 1.00 mol NaCl per 1000.0 kg H2O
d) 1.00 g NaCl per 1000.0 g H2O
e) 1000.0 g NaCl per 1000.0g H2O
9) Which of the following organix substances is most soluable in water?
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version