CHMA11H3 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Lone Pair, Sulfur Dioxide, Collision Frequency
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Multiple Choice Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers
1) For BeCl2, the dipole moment of the molecule, hybridization on the central atom, and
number of lone pairs on the central atom are:
a) None, sp3, two
b) Toward Be, sp2, none
c) Away from Be, sp2, one
d) Toward Be, sp, one
e) None, sp, none
2) Choose the INCORRECT statement about PCI5
a) P has sp3d hybridization.
b) Each Cl has 3 lone pairs.
c) There are 5
d) P has one lone pair
e) There are no
3) How would replacing a benzene C and its H with a N atom (C5H5N) affect the delocalized
a) The N can have delocalized electrons like C.
b) There would be no delocalized electrons but a double bond between the N and the C
on each side of the N
c) There would be no delocalized electrons but a double bond between the N and a C
d) The molecule would not be stable
e) Only the five C atoms would be included in the delocalized electrons.
5) Arrange the following compounds in order of increasing boiling point: I 1-propanol,
CH3CH2Ch2OH; II 1,2-propanediol, CH3Ch(OH) CH2OH; III 1,2,3-propanetriol,
a) I, III,II b) I,II,III c) III, I,II d) III,II, I E) II,III,I
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
8) The factor that has the largest effect on vapor pressure is:
a) Liquid mole weight
b) Liquid surface area
c) Volume available for vapor
d) Molecular dipole moment
e) Presence of H bonding
14) Solutions are made that contrain 0.1 moles of each of the following compounds below in 1-g
of H2O. Choose the compound whose solution will have the lowest freezing point.
a) KCLO3b) NaBr c) MgCl2d) CO2E) MgSO4
16) Which of the following statements is correct?
a) A reaction rate cannot be calculated from the collision frequency alone.
b) A zero order reaction depends on the concentrations of reactants.
C) The number of collisions has no effect on the rate constant.
D) The orientation of a collision does not affect the rate constant.
E) a commonly stated rule of thumb is that reaction rates triple for a temperature increase of
about 10 oC.
18) For a reaction with a second order rate constant, which is the correct unit?
A) M-2 X time
b) M X time-2
c) M-1 x time-1
D) M x time-1
20) Which of the following lowers the activation energy of a reaction?
A) Lowering the temperature
B) Adding a catalyst
c) Adding a reactants
d) Raising the temperature
E) Removing products
21) Consider the reaction:
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version