CLAB06: Lecture 12
“Final Exam Preparation Session”
- 10 map locations for the exam
o The black sea
o Asia minor
o Iberian peninsula (Spain)
- Which of the following emperors did not belong to the Antonine dynasty?
o Antoninus Pius
- What was the main issue that conflicted the Roman Empire to the Parthian Empire?
o Mesopotamia o *Armenia
- What does the relief that stands on the Titus Triumphal Arch in Rome commemorate?
o The looting of the temple of Jerusalem that happened at the end of war when the
city was taken over by the Roman army; Vespasian was the emperor at the time
(and his son Titus was the chief commander at the time)
- Briefly explain the difference between the Principate and the Dominate
o Principate was characterized by “first among equals” meaning that the emperor
was the first among equals (was a “leading figure = princeps”)but in the Dominate
the emperor is considered the “Master/Lord” thus there is an obvious hierarchy
that showed the emperor above others rather than as equals; thus he is much
more distant in comparison to everyone else
o Dominate quasi-monarchical rule became more obvious at the end of the third
There was even a diadem and emperor decked out in gems
- Who were the members of the First Tetrarchy (specify who were the Augusti and who
were the Caesars) and when was it formed?
o Diocletian and his Caesar Galerius in the East
o Maximian and his Caesar Constantius Chlorus in the West
o 293 was the time that it was fully formed (but 285-293 is also acceptable)
- Why were there so many different capitals by the time of the Tetrarchy?
o These areas were selected because they were the more vulnerable parts of the
empire so they established further so that they could be protected and prosper
- *arrow question
o Hadrian: Jewish uprising in Cyrenaica and Egypt
o Septimius Severus: Soldiers can get married while in service
o Diocletian: Provincial reorganization
o Trajan: Dacian Wars
o Theodosius: ban on all pagan cults in the Empire (395 AD) o Constantine: Milvian Bridge Battle
o Caracalla: Grant of Roman citizenship to all free inhabitants of the Empire
- When was Constantinople inaugurated?
o 330 AD
- Where is the Circus Maximus and what type of event was held there?
o Located in Rome and was location of chariot racing
- *know about gladiatorial games and chariot races
- Identify the 2 main external threats to the Empire’s territory?
o The Germanic tribes and the Parthians (Sassanids)
o Menorah was a Christian symbol?
F: was a Jewish symbol
o During Late Antiquity, villages saw their populations drop sharply
F: most people from cities went to villages so REALLY it seems that cities
became smaller and villages were larger. Why? As a result of the
economic crisis, people went back to agriculture and also there were a lot
of invasions so cities were the primary targets rather than small towns
o Egypt was one of Rome’s main grain suppliers
T: Egypt AND North Africa to be specific
o Gladiatorial games originate from Greece
F: not known for sure where they originate from but some historians
agree that it is the Etruscans; chariot racing was originated from Greece
o Trajan was the first ‘provincial’ emperor
T: Trajan was from Spain
o The imperial cult was a result of imperial initiatives
F: three possible origins, indi