C) Water-based diseases are caused by micro-organisms that live in water
D) Water-related diseases are caused by micro-organisms that live in water and get in contact
with humans through water ingestion
E) Water-dispersed diseases are caused by micro-organisms that reproduce in water but are
transmitted through air
16. Nitrogen is of particular concern when in the form of _____ because they inhibit the _____’s ability to
transfer oxygen; this is called _____.
A) Nitrates, red blood cells, mesothelioma
B) Nitrites, red blood cells, anemia
C) Nitrites, hemoglobin, methemoglobinemia
D) Nitrates, hemoglobin, methemoglobinemia
17. Which statement about radon is true?
A) It is a naturally occurring radioactive gas
B) It is not carcinogenic
C) Humans are exposed to it through water only
D) None of the above
18. Arsenic is also a chemical threat to water quality, which of the following is not a potential health effect of
exposure to it?
A) Irritation of lungs
B) Skin diseases
D) Vision loss
19. Which of the following is a threat posed by pharmaceuticals in wastewater?
A) Antibiotic resistant micro-organisms in the environment
B) Impact on aquatic organisms exposed in receiving waters
C) Impacts on invertebrates exposed in soil
D) All of the above
20. Water quantity is another problem faced by human beings because:
A) There is a boom in population growth
B) It is getting polluted and is less available for human consumption
C) Because there are more water leakages
D) All of the above except for C
E) All of the above
21. Teratogenic effects due to lead exposure include all of the following except for:
A) Deficit in intellectual intelligence
B) Growth rate
C) Birth rate
D) Renal failure
22. Which of the following is a non-hazardous form of mercury?
A) Mercuric mercury
B) Volatilized metallic mercury