- 60 when he wrote robinson crusoe
- Made a lot of money and went bankrupt a lot of time
- Reflected in his writings
- Realism vs romance
- Truth status
o 18th century Æ British city is undergoing changes. The kings power is being to be curtailed,
parliament has more of a say, econom]}Á]Z](]vP(}uZ]}[to middle
classes. Rise of Catholicism is based on colonial power over }Z}o[}µX^Z](
in power require an entire new concept of a person as an individual
- Based on Alexander Selkirk, marooned in the South Seas for 4 years and 4 months before he was
picked up by a passing ship and was returned to England
o Went crazy...
- Adventure is a modern form of romance
- Oxford English Dictionary
- OED: 1. A. That which comes to us, or happens without design; chance, hap, fortune, luck. Obs.
B. per adventure, by adventure, of adventure, (fr. Par aventure): by chance. The two latter
are obs., the first now treated as a single word, with sense perchance, perhaps. See
2. A chance occurrence, an event or issue, an accident. Also in Law. Obs.
3. Chance of danger or loss; risk, jeopardy, to imperil, to risk, to stake. Still in Mar. Insur.
4. Hazardous activity (ie risky)
5. Any novel or unexpected event in which one shares; an exciting or remarkable incident
befalling any one
- Adventure - test heroes in particular ways
o ^dZ}uv]v}(ooo]Ç(}u}ZÁ]Z-fulfilment dream....In every age
the ruling social or intellectual class tends to project its ideals in some form of romance,
where the virtuous heroes and beautiful heroines represent the ideals and the villains the
Z}Z]vvÇ_~E}Z}&ÇUAnatomy of Criticism)
- What will the children reader take from robinson crusoe, what type of child will he grow up to be,
what are these values?
o ^dZ]Æ]Á}l}}µoZ}binson Crusoe. It is read eagerly by young
people. And there is hardly an elf so devoid of imagination as not to have supposed for
himself a solitary island ....