3-Additional+practice+exercises+topics+2+and+3.pdf

3 Pages
129 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Finance
Course
MGFB10H3
Professor
Derek Chau
Semester
Summer

Description
Additional practice exercises topics 2 (time value of money) and 3 (bond  valuation)  Solutions are provided at the end.     Question 1: (TVM)  You can buy property today for $3 million and sell it in 5 years for $4 million. You will earn no rental  income on the property.  a. If the interest rate is 8%, should you buy the property?  b. Suppose the property earns $200,000 rent, at the beginning of each year. Should you buy it?  c. Suppose you think that there is only a 75% chance the property will sell for $4,000,000 and a 25%  chance that it will sell for $3,000,000 in 5 years. Should you buy the property?    Question 2: (TVM)  Jennifer JackPot has just won lottery. She will get $50,000 every 6 months for 10 years (20 payments).  The first payment will be coming 4.5 years from today; subsequent payments will be every 6 months  thereafter. If the discount rate is 13.61% compounded monthly,  a. What is the value of this annuity three years from now?    b. What is today’s value of the annuity?    Question 3: (TVM)  Tim Crony is the Knight errant of the Peachland in the Court of Luxemstein. He is 60 years old, with an  average life expectancy of 87, and is paid $60,000 annually. King Vincent Nepotism wants him to resign  so that a distant cousin of King Vincent can have the job. Tim refuses, since the appointment is for life.  He suggests instead that he retires in 5 years with a pension of $50,000 per annum, with his wife (who is  expected to outlive him by 20 years) getting half on his death. In addition he wants to stay on staff for 5  years after his retirement as an adviser to the court at a stipend of $5,000 per year. Tim is the traditional  director  of  Luxemstein’s  once  a  century  anniversary  celebrations,  coming  up  in  10  years.  He  would  receive an additional honorarium of $40,000 per year for 2 years before the celebrations (years 9 and  10), and he wants to receive those payments as well. Finally, he wants to receive a lump sum payment  of $100,000 at the retirement date. King Vincent makes a counter offer, “We will pay you an extra  $130,000 per year for the next 5 years and a lump sum of $40,000 at age 65 if you retire now. All  payments come at year end. The interest rate is 7%. Which alternative gives Tim the highest present  value, using expected lives?    Question 4: (Bonds)  Donald has just purchased a 10 year bond of WorldCheese Corporation. The bond has a coupon rate of  8% payable annually. The required rate of return is 9%. Suppose one year later required rate of return  declined to 7% and stayed at that level for the remaining years. If Donald sells the bonds one year after  purchase then what would his current yield, capital gain yield and the total yield be?     1 Solutions  Answer 1:  5 a.   If you invest $3,000,000 at 8% in 5 years you will have $3,000,000(1.08)  = $4,407,984.    After 5 years property can only be sold for $4,000,000, therefore, you should not buy it.    OR, alternatively:  5   PV of $4,000,000 property selling price @ 8% is $4,000,000/(1.08)  = $2,722,333.    Since the price of property today is $3,000,000, therefore, you should not buy it.    b. The rental payments are an annuity due. Calculate the present value:  ⎛ 1 ⎞ ⎜1− 5 ⎟ PV(rental payments) =  $200,000 ⎜ (1.08 ⎟(1.08 = $862,425   ⎜ 0.08 ⎟ ⎜ ⎟ ⎝ ⎠   PVof total benefits  = PV of building selling price + PV of rental payments          = $2,722,333 + 862,425 = $3,584,758  Since PV of benefits is more than the purchase price of the building, you 
More Less

Related notes for MGFB10H3

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit