Bogin et al. 2007
1. Review the biocultural domains of influence on human life history
2. What is human life history, and what are the “trade-offs” in human growth and development?
3. Compare the “developmental programming” hypothesis to the hypothesis of “predictive
4. What is the “human development index”, and what is it based on?
Brown and Pollitt 1996
1. Compare the traditional, and newer, perspectives on malnutrition, brain growth and cognitive
2. Review the findings of the INCAP study of Guatemalan children, and the recommended
interventions for preventing cognitive impairment.
3. How does malnutrition hinder cognitive development of children?
Noble et al. 2005
1. What are the three core neurocognitive systems that are linked with aspects of school
performance and how are these systems affected by SES (or “race”)?
2. How do a child’s life experiences affect the developing brain?
3. What are some suggested interventions to prevent cognitive impairment?
1. Detail how early environments can affect child, adolescent and adult achievement (consider this
question with respect to other readings as well). Consider the economic investments and
1. What is the socioeconomic gradient in health status?
2. Examine the various perspectives linking early child development and the environment of
childhood with adult health status. Consider the results of animal and human studies.
1. Consider the living environments of children in this Brazilian community.
2. What factors play a role in the attitudes of parents/families to childcare and child mortality?
3. What is the overall message of this article? Pallapies 2006
1. Detail the current trends in childhood disease in Europe and the US and consider all the factors
that play a role.
Mung’Ala-Odera et al. 2004
1. How does malaria affect neurologic and cognitive development of children?
2. What are the long-term, and larger societal, consequences?
3. What are DALYs?
1. Note the temporal changes in childhood obesity rates
2. What are the various factors that play a role in childhood obesity?
3. What are the consequences to children of childhood obesity?
Abadia-Barrero and Castro 2006
1. How does AIDS-related stigma affect a patient, and society at large (what are the various
2. Detail the drug interventions employed today, and the effect of therapies