SOCC38H3 Study Guide - Visible Minority, Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority, Stereo Typical
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
BUILDING A STEM EDUCATION AS STEM DOMINATION, IS THERE A PROBLEM?
Men are gendered too
David sadker – briefing no them education part 2 (youtube video)
Elementary and middle school research:
- boys are generally more active, asking more question, answering more, getting more
attention.. calling out more..
- girls are takig less help, less challenges, but doing better in terms of grades.
White males are getting the most attention, then visible minority females, then white
females, tehn visible minority female.
- Teacher complement girls for being pretty.
- “like your dress/hair cut”blab la
- Girls are getting that sorta feedback from teachers where there is an emphasis on
- some sports that are nto gendered, but whent hey happen, like swimming classes, theres
more girls etc.
- same dynamic was found when teachers were giving more instructions to boy students
where girls were allweod to be loud and play without being given instruction to behave
- boys got more and harsher discipline than girls.
- even if they are involved together, boys still got more discipline than girls
- fairy tales , four times as more males characters were there in fairy tales than females.
- gendered stereo typical roles are being presented in thebooks children are reading in
elementary and middle school
- the research shows that (logical to assume) the gender stereotypes contribute the
development of kids, and gives both kids the narrow version of what their future can be.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version