Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Nov 23 in class -> 2 hrs
covers all fall term reading + Act 1 Henry 4.1
part 1: short answer, multiple choice, T/F (factual info from lectures and reading) i.e.
definitions of literary terms, rhetorical figures, historical information, textual information
part 2: passage id and commentary (character+play id, passage analysis) -> no obvious
markers like names...
And in my heart the strong and swelling evil of my conception... tis not the devil’s crest
-> Angelo, Measure for Measure, “habit” repetitious activity and words forming
character, “conception” and pregnancy, engender living being within self or other,
hidden, inside vs outside, secret until gradually reveal, manifests self to world...
part 3: essay question (1 out of 2 questions)
1. compare and contrast the representation of rape in Titus Andronicus and Rape of
• tragedy: serious and important actions that end disastrously for hero/central
• first performance: 1606?
• Text: based on first folio, 1623
• source: Raphael Holinshed’s Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland 1587
• 1603: death of Elizabeth I
• James I rise to throne (son of Mary Queen of Scots (executed) and Henry Stewart,
Earl of Darnley (assassinated))
• gunpowder plot 1605: conspiracy to blow up James I by placing barrels of gunpowder
underneath parliament buildings
• conspirators ca