James Baldwin, “Going to Meet the Man”
- Writes at same time as Civil Rights trouble
- Story about masculinity – coming of age story
- Who is the man? The man hung & burned at the end? Jesse? Father? Law?
- Writing about white objectivity – why?
- “The negro problem” – “racism” – real problem is whites doing this – not a “black”
- Goes right to core of issue
- Systematic racism
- Jesse’s experience victimizes him too – culture impacts white people too
1. Today at civil protests – songs are always key
2. Black customers & ripping them off
3. Lynching – foreplay to parents having sex
- Story of sexual awake