SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
MATH 150 Fall 2006
Instructor: Dr. Mulholland
November 1, 2006, 8:30 – 9:20 a.m.
Name: (please print)
family name given name
student number SFU-email
1. Do not open this booklet until told to do so.
2. Write your name above in block letters. Write your Question Maximum Score
SFU student number and email ID on the line pro-
vided for it.
3. Write your answer in the space provided below the
question . If additional space is needed then use the 2 8
back of the previous page. Your ﬁnal answer should
be simpliﬁed as far as is reasonable.
4. Make the method you are using clear in every case
unless it is explicitly stated that no explanation is
needed. 5 6
5. This exam has 5 questions on 8 pages (not includ-
ing this cover page). Once the exam begins please Total 40
check to make sure your exam is complete.
6. No calculators, books, papers, or electronic devices
shall be within the reach of a student during the
7. During the examination, communicating with,
or deliberately exposing written papers to the
view of, other examinees is forbidden. MATH 150 Page 1 of 8
0 5 3 7
 1. (a) Compute f (x) if f(x) = (x −2x +4) . You do not need to simplify your answer.
 (b) Compute g (x) if g(x) = 1 + x 2. You do not need to simplify your answer. MATH 150 Page 2 of 8
 (c) Determine h (t) if h(t) = e . (Compute the ﬁrst few derivatives to ﬁnd a
 (d) Find y if y = x . You do not need to simplify your answer. MATH 150 Page 3 of 8
 (e) Find f (x) if it is known that