POL207Y1 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Economic And Financial Affairs Council
36 views4 pages
Last lecture, next Wednesday Midterm
EU institutions: The European Council/ The Council of Ministers
10 am to 12 pm
1) Format: ID questions: 10% each (4 out of 7 options) 40% total of midterm.
Define the concept and relevance of it. Why is it important. ½ paragraph is enough.
2) Compare-contrast question 25% (1 out of 2).
Relationship between 2 concepts. Question about democratic deficit between 2.
Define deficit. Compar parliament and smth else.
3) Short essay question 35% (1 out of 2). Essay format – intro/ thesis, arguments,
conlusion. 2-3 pages. All the readings up to the point + lectures.
No questions that have been in the essay.
Theories, all the topics that have been covered but not included in the essay.
1) Define the “Councils”
2) Identify its composition & organization
3) Identify its responsibilities
4) Assess its power/influence
5) Identify potential problems
1) •The European council
Informal semi-regular meeting of the heads of member states
- Heads of State or Government of EU countries.
It was not recognized as a formal recently.
- Regular meeting (4 times a year minimum, lately 6/7)
- Highest level of political and policy-making decisions
•The Council of Ministers or the Council
- Government Ministers of each EU country
- Weekly meetings – very regular ongoing working schedule – council constantly
- Detailed decision and passing of EU law
- Its permanent. Working all the time, making decisions every day
•The Council of Europe
- NOT an EU institution (46 members, all 27 eu members , not
- Intergovernmental organization.
- No supra nationality, just cooperation, each state has its sovereignty
- Protect human rights, promote cultural diversity and combat discrimination and