Part III: Essay Questions. 7 of the 9 following questions will appear on the final
1. Should British North America/Canada in the 19 century be characterized in terms of
inequality and hierarchy or opportunity and democracy?
2. "Aboriginal-colonist relations were mutually beneficial so long as they were based on
trade and military alliances; but as agricultural settlement intensified and immigrant
populations increased, these relationships were destroyed." Do you agree or disagree?
Give your reasons.
3. "For historians, two key phrases capture the essential character of Canada's relations
with Britian after Confederation: 'A Sense of Power' and 'The Long Goodbye.'" Assess
these ideas with reference to diplomacy, politics, culture, and everyday life.
4. How did military conflict and diplomatic dynamics affect Canada during the twentieth
century? What long-term impacts did these developments have?
5. Canada is sometimes called 'the Peaceable Kingdom', but Canadian histor