RSM100 Final Exam Study Guide
1. What are the 4 purposes of goal setting?
2. What are the hierarchy of plans?
1. Identify the ways a business
a. Corporate-level strategies will compete in its chosen line
2. Identify the basic courses of action
b. Functional strategies
each department in the firm will
c. Business-level strategies 3. Indentifies the various businesses
that a company will be in, and how
these businesses will relate to each
4. Identify each as either corporate-level or business-level.
a. ___________ horizontal integration
b. ___________ differentiation strategy
c. ___________ focus strategy
d. ___________ product development
e. ___________ cost leadership
f. ___________ vertical integration
g. ___________ concentration strategy
h. ___________ investment reduction
i. ___________ diversification
j. ___________ geographic expansion
k. ___________ market penetration
5. Disneys correction with launching its second ship, taking into consideration of the
schedule and environment under which it may change its strategy is an example of:
a. Crisis management
b. Environmental analysis
c. SWOT analysis
d. Contingency planning
e. Benchmarking 6. The four steps to the management process are:
a. Planning, organizing, analyzing, controlling.
b. Structuring, organizing, analyzing, controlling.
c. Structuring, organizing, leading, controlling.
d. Planning, forming, leading, controlling.
e. Planning, organizing, leading, controlling.
7. Managers responsible for supervising the work of employees are __________.
a. Front-line managers
b. Top managers
c. First-line managers
d. On-site supervisors
e. Middle managers
8. Which of the following is or are not considered a basic management skill?
a. Negotiation skills
b. Conceptual skills
c. Human relations skills
d. A) and B)
e. They are all considered basic management skills.
9. Which of the following is not a leading cause of wasted time?
10. Forces that shape corporate culture are:
a. Values of management, firms history, racial diversity, stories and legends.
b. Values of management, firms history, location, racial diversity.
c. Economic trends, firms history, stories and legends, strong behavioral norm.
d. Values of employees, firms history, stories and legends, strong behavioral norm.
e. Values of management, firms history, stories and legends, strong behavioral
norm. 11. Which of the following is not a stage of the process of cultural change?
a. Analysis of the companys environment
b. Formulation of a new vision.
c. Survey of opinions from employees.
d. Set up of new system for appraising and compensating enforcement of new
e. They are all required to induce cultural change.
12. When a manager is organizing the specification of jobs to be done within a business and
determining how they relate to each other, he/she is focusing on the _____________.
a. Organization chart
b. Chain of command
c. Job specialization
e. Organizational structure
13. All of the following are types of departmentalization except _______________.
14. The three steps to developing a decision-making hierarchy are:
a. Assigning tasks, organizing activities, distributing authority.
b. Mapping tasks, assigning tasks, distributing authority.
c. Assigning tasks, evaluating authority, distributing authority.
d. Assigning tasks, performing tasks, distributing authority.
e. Assigning tasks, performing tasks, evaluating authority.
15. Managers have trouble delegating effectively is:
a. The fear that something will go wrong if someone else takes over a job.
b. The feeling that employees will always do anything they can.
c. The sense of always being informed about industry trends.
d. The lack of time for short-range planning.
e. None of the above. 16. McDonalds maintains a standard of procedures for all its purchasing, producing, and
packaging activities. Its an example of a __________________.
a. Flat organizational structure
b. Semi-centralized organization
c. Decentralized organization
d. Line department
e. Centralized organization
17. In an organization,
a. A flat organizational structure implies a high span of control.
b. A flat organizational structure implies a low span of control.
c. A tall organizational structure implies a high span of control.
d. B) and C).
e. None of the above.
18. Authority based on expertise and that usually involves advising line managers is
a. Line authority
b. Staff authority
c. Committee and team authority
d. Centralized authority
e. Specialized authority
19. ______________ is defined by a division of organization into semi-autonomous units.
a. Functional structure
b. International organizational structure
c. Matrix organization
d. Partitioned structure
e. Divisional structure
20. All are examples of new forms of organizational design except: