Lecture 1: Architecture Styles (AVANT-GARDE)
International Modern Style Architecture
- American, post world war one
- Inspired by the German Bauhaus Style, though conceptually very different.
- Bauhaus was simple due to affordability and functionality because of the poor
condition of German economy, and America on the other hand had wealth to
show off. PORTRAY CAPITALIST IDEOLOGIES.
- Due to America’s booming economy after world war 1
- Style signified by no ornamentation, advocating purity and simplicity, using very
expensive material, steel skeletons, allowing free planning and more spatial use.
- Int. Modern Architect: Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Bauhaus Style Architecture
- German movement- post world war 1
- Inspired due to the post war economic condition of the collapsing German
- Gropius was appointed to head a new institution to help rebuild the country and
forma social order again from the ruins of world war 1.
- Calling for rational housing
- Rejected bourgeois details