Premium

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 201
Professor
Bub Daniel

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Psych 210: chapter 3 midterm 2 notes
3.1:
Helmholtz: recognized that perception requires unconscious inferencing which actively
constructs an interpretation
Vision that come from the retina is two dimensional and can have countless interpretations for
3d images
o Unspecified information: vision that comes from the retina and some something the
brain has to cope with ****
o Poverty of stimulus: the eye does’t take i eough light fro the ojet to for a 3d
Brain uses unconscious knowledge is domain specific to the visual cortex
Generic view: we assume that the image we are seeing is the generic view (what
the object usually looks like)
Accidental view: the view of an object that appears different from all other
views
o Y-junction and arrow junctions: are where two flat surfaces meet, so the visual system
can identify that an object has corners
The Helmholtz sign theory: an object does not have to be physically seen but can be inferred by
the visual system*******
o Contrast can be inferred by the visual system (ie: dark circle with light background will
appear different then the same dark circle with a darker background)
Both language and vision require unconscious inferencing
o Sign theory: there id no simple resemblance between the neural events that give rise to
sensations and physical objects. The corresondance is symbolic and created within the
mind
Descartes and Helmholtz had a similar view points when analyzing the
relationship between neural events and the physical world.
Helmholtz argued however that our visual constructions from neural
signals is learned and that nothing is innate
A human reaction cannot happen any faster than 110ms the brain needs time to process and
make descions
Chronometry: influenced by Wundt, it is a method for timing the reaction speed of the brain
FC Donders: worked with Wundt and proposed the Subtractive method
o Subtractive method: the idea to designate a number to each mental task for some
activity that will overall add together to produce the overall reaction time. Stages can
therefore be isolated by subtracting one specific tasks reaction time from another (This
theory is INCORRECT)
o A simple reaction to donders would be a sprinter starting to run at the sound of a gun
(responding to only one stimuli)
The tasks according to Donders were split us as follows
o Task A: Response execution
o Task B: a Choice reaction ( ie: identifying a shape) which involves stimulus identification
and response selection
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Psych 210: chapter 3 midterm 2 notes 3.1: Helmholtz: recognized that perception requires unconscious inferencing which actively constructs an interpretation Vision that come from the retina is two dimensional and can have countless interpretations for 3d images o Unspecified information: vision that comes from the retina and some something the brain has to cope with **** o Poverty of stimulus: the eye doesnt take in enough light from the object to form a 3d image Brain uses unconscious knowledge is domain specific to the visual cortex Generic view: we assume that the image we are seeing is the generic view (what the object usually looks like) Accidental view: the view of an object that appears different from all other views o Yjunction and arrow junctions: are where two flat surfaces meet, so the visual system can identify that an object has corners The Helmholtz sign theory: an object does not have to be physically seen but can be inferred by the visual system******* o Contrast can be inferred by the visual system (ie: dark circle with light background will appear different then the same dark circle with a darker background) Both language and vision require unconscious inferencing o Sign theory: there id no simple resembl
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit