Premium

14 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 251
Professor
Adam Krawitz

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Psychology 251 Exam 2 Topic 3: Perception Bottomup and Topdown influences Bottomup stimulus driven, feedforward connections. Depends on the proximal stimulus and genetic hardwiring of sensory systems Involves lowlevelprocessing intermediate highlevel processing to determine what something is based on information given form the stimulus Topdown Driven by goals and expectations, feedback connections. Depends on past experience, internal state, and environmental context. We perceive the world in a way that is most likely based on our past experiences Perception depends on both types of processing! Interactive activation theory: McClelland and Rumelhart model of letter and word perception; integrates bottomup and topdown processes. Knowledge of a word helps interpret what letters are in it (rather than the other way around). Features letters words = bottomup processing uses feature detectors; features excite or inhibit letters, letters compete with other letters and excite or inhibit words. Words letters features = tyopdown processing; words compete with other words and excite letters. Word superiority effect bottomup and topdown processes are necessary to explain perception. Topic 4: Action Action is a change in the environment. Somatic skeletal muscle moves limbs Autonomic controlled by the brain. Includes smooth muscles (blood pressure, digestion), cardiac muscles (heartbeat), endocrine glands (secrete hormones), and exocrine glands (sweat, saliva). Internal actions CNS: can the brainmind take actions on itself? Update memory, switch tasks, etc. Very similar to brain functions used to take physical actions. PROBLEM: How do we effect change in the world? IMPORTANCE: Actions are necessary to achieve goals (eating, drinking, reproducing, etc) CHALLENGE: Inverse problem determining what actions to take in order to achieve goals. (we work backwards to figure out what we need to do to get there). Motor System Motor control is hierarchical Motor equivalence our movements are consistent with abstract motor plans (motor plan is not represented as a movement of specific muscles, but rather the general movement in space) Our writing appears similar (apart from quality) with each body part used to write (hand, foot, teeth, etc.) Inverse model current position and desired position what sequence of motor commands is needed to reach a desired position? Used to create motor plans Forward model current position and motor commands predict the position that will be ended in. Used to evaluate motor plans andor action Efferent copy internal copy of a motor command. Compare actual behaviour and predicted behaviour to make sureknow if actual outcome matched predicted behaviour. Feedforward control motor command to muscle; fast but less accurate (inverse) Feedback control motor command sent to muscle; actual outcome compared to the desired state. Adjustments made based on errors (forward) Motor planning PREMOTOR CORTEX Planning of voluntary actions begins at a conceptual level based on goals Quench thirst (goal) drink from cup (conceptual) pick up cup (effector) activate muscles in arm (implementation) Premotor cortex is involved in selecting goals and planning actions at a conceptual level, particularly when plans are driven by external stimuli. Readiness potential planning in the premotor cortex occurs before voluntary movement. Precedes action sometimes ~1 sec before. Planning for multiple alternative actions: o Task: Reach for target with arm o Spatial cues: cued with two possible targets (red and blue); different action for each target o Memory period: cues are removed, prepare for both actions o Colour cue: cued with actual target, now prepares for single action o Go signal: initiate action. (most activity for the chosen action plan at this point.) Mirror neurons some neurons in the premotor cortex represent actions at a conceptual level. Performing or observing an action, ex breaking a peanut. Whether breaking a peanut or watching someone else do it, the neuron fires. Hearing not seeingseeing not hearing still fires (So not a visual, perceptual, or auditory neuron). Consistent with the idea that these neurons represent action concepts, not the specific muscle movement. Motor sequencing SUPPLEMENTARY CORTEX This is adjacent to the premotor cortex. Involved in selecting goals and planning actions at a conceptual level. Involved in selecting goals and planning actions at a conceptual level, particularly when plans involve internally generated sequences of actions (like tying shoelaces, playing a song, performing a dance). Recording from SMA neurons during different movement sequences; using peristimulus time histogram each little mark when a neuron fires (action potential); each row is a trial. Pick event (one action in a sequence) to line data up on. One neuron fires in anticipation of a particular sequence. One neuron fires before a particular action in a particular sequence
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit