PSYC 251 Study Guide - Final Guide: Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex, Animal Cognition, Prefrontal Cortex

160 views3 pages

Document Summary

Executive function is about guiding and coordinating perception, action, attention, long-term memory, language, decision-making, and emotion in service to our plans and goals. It is cognitive control, emotional control, executive control, and even self-control. Importance: to free us from the tyranny of the present, and act with regard to the future. Wisconsin card sorting task (wcst): participants were asked to sort cards into 4 different decks (based on colour, pattern, etc); figure out what the rule is based on feedback. Working memory maintenance: which rules have i already tried? (dlpfc) Working memory updating: remember that i just tried colour (basal ganglia) Inhibition of prepote(cid:374)t a(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s: do(cid:374)"t sort (cid:271)y a rule that i"(cid:373) used to using (dlpfc) Shifting between rules, sets, and tasks: try each rule in turn until finding one that works (dlpfc) Monitoring and adjusting performance: detect when a rule is no longer working & respond (acc) With lesions to the prefrontal cortex, patients exhibit:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers