Classical Studies
Course
Classical Studies 2300
Professor
Charles Stocking
Semester
Fall

Description
Vince Lombardi – “What it takes to be No.1” "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win. Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization - an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win - to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is. It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there - to compete. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules - but to win. And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat. I don't say these things because I believe in the ‘brute' nature of men or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour -- his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear -- is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." Hesiod – “Works and Days” (on Eris) “So, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two. As for the one, a man would praise her when he came to understand her; but the other is blameworthy: and they are wholly different in nature. For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: [15] her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her due honor. But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night, and the son of Cronos who sits above and dwells in the aether, he set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. [20] She stirs up even the lazy to toil; for a man grows eager to work when he considers his neighbor, a rich man who hastens to plough and plant and put his house in good order; and neighbor vies with his neighbor as he hurries after wealth. This Strife is wholesome for men. [25] And potter is angry with potter, and craftsman with craftsman, and beggar is jealous of beggar, and minstrel of minstrel.” Jean-Pierre Vernant – “The Society of Gods” “The Greeks distinguished in the cosmos between different types of powers- multiple forms of power that could take action on every level of reality….making interventions within man himself as well as in society, nature, and in the Beyond.” “Thus their religion and their pantheon can be seen to be a system of classification, a particular way of ordering and conceptualizing the universe, distinguishing between multiple types of force and power operating within it.” Xenophanes – Problems with Anthropomorphism Fr. 14: But mortals deem that the gods are begotten as they are, and have clothes like theirs, and voice and form. (R. P. 100) Fr. 15: Yes, and if oxen and horses or lions had hands, and could paint with their hands, and produce works of art as men do, horses would paint the forms of the gods like horses, and oxen like oxen, and make their bodies in the image of their several kinds. (R. P. 100) Hesiod – “Theogeny” (Children of Styx) “And Styx, Ocean’s daughter, made love with Pallas and bore Envy (Zelos) in her house and beautiful Victory (Nikê) and Strength (Kratos) and Force (Biê)- notable children she bore, and they have no house apart from Zeus, no dwelling or path except where the god leads them, and they dwell forever with deep-thundering Zeus” Hesiod – “Theogeny” (Timê) “For this was how Styx, Ocean’s daughter, made her decision on that fateful day when the lord of lighting summoned the gods to the slopes of Olympos, and told them whoever fought along with him against the Titans he would not deprive of any rights and honors (timê) among the deathless gods. Or if they had none under Cronos before, he would promote them to rights and honors (timê) as was just.” Hesiod – “Theogeny” (Styx) “If ever a god who lives on snowcapped Olympos pours a libation of this (water of Styx) and breaks his oath, he lies a full year without any breath, not a taste of ambrosia, not a sip of nectar comes to his lips, but he lies breathless and speechless on a blanketed bed, an evil coma upon him. But when the long year brings this disease to an end, another more difficult trial is in store, Nine years of exile from the everlasting gods, no converse in council or at their feasts for nine full years. In the tenth year finally he rejoins the Immortals in their homes on Olympos. Upon this the gods swear, the primordial,
More Less

Related notes for Classical Studies 2300

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit