Write what you have learned about the EUROPEAN UNION, with a special focus
on the supranational, national and sub national aspects discussed in class and
readings. Explain what these concepts mean. Remember to include the knowledge
gained through lectures and readings to get a good mark.
Describe the European Union’s origins, purpose and principal phases, and
name the two founding ‘fathers’
• Discuss its regional characteristics (cities’ associations, for example)
• Explain the principle of ‘Subsidiarity’ (lecture).
• Explain the concept of ‘Supranationalism’ (from lecture and textbook).
• Discuss the political advantages and/or disadvantages of the EU in terms of
unification of policies.
• Mention at least three of the principal treaties before the current Treaty of
Lisbon and explain its main contribution to the establishment of the EU
• Explain the main features of the economic and monetary union.
• How many countries have a single coinage? What is the name of the EU
• Compare the European Union to other international associations and
evaluate their differences (textbook).