Tourism 2144G Final
- Do I need the text?
o What should I read?
o The text is to give you a contrast of your tourist experiences vs the US
- Maximum 8 page answer, essay format.
- Can bring notes but not laptop.
- 5 ways of using your answer:
o You experience Past Text Course Future
Command of Concepts
Humans approach virtually everything in experience as something that can be “given
meaning” by the power of our minds to create a conceptualization and to make
inferences on the basis of it (hence to create further conceptualizations).
We do this so routinely and automatically that we don’t typically recognize ourselves as
engaged in these processes.
In our everday life we don’t first experience the world in “concept… [incomplete]
- Command of language
- Insight into social conditioning
- A journey to personal freedom
We must develop the ability to distinguish the concepts and ideals implicit in our social
conditioning form the concepts and ideas implicit in the natural language we speak.
Closely examine the concepts we have personally formed as well as those info which
we have been social indoctrinated.
Go beneath the surface.
Engage your senses.
My destination was merely my excuse to take the trip. - One of the paradoxes of otherness is that in travel each conceives the other as
- Travel is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with distance or the exotic. It is
almost entirely an inner experiences.
- The whole point of travel is discovery, and few experiences can match