GEOG 2152: Geography of Hazards
Reading #1 Review Questions
1. How have years of drought changed the soil in the region?
• Years of drought have concentrated naturally occurring salts in the
soil, which made the farmland not suitable for planting tomatoes,
almonds, organic broccoli and other crops any longer.
2. Why is California’s Central Valley so important to U.S. agriculture?
• Soil is rich, weather is warm, the best environment for various
crops to grow. So supply the majority of domestic needs of
agricultural products in US.
3. How do farmers in the region obtain water for their fields?
• Using surface flows from rivers
4. Explain the importance of winter storms in the western United States.
• For the western US, most water arrives in winter storm and
mountain snowpack serves as the West’s water towner.
5. What trend has been noticed in the mountain