GEOG 2152F: Geography of Hazards
Video: Chelyabinsk Meteor
1. What did the nuclear weapons monitoring system reveal about the explosion of the meteor?
• The monitoring system reveals that the frequency of the meteor was very low. The low
frequency sound waves, infrasound, was able to travel around the world a few times
during the day.
• The lower the frequency means that the explosion is bigger and bigger
• 20-30 times the explosion of Hiroshima
2. How do small holes form in meteors?
• Air resistance eats away at the meteor, creating dents and holes in the object
3. Why were people surprised by the shockwave?
• The shockwave was cause by an explosion of air, aka an air blast
• The explosion pushes air out in all directions from the origin of the explosion
• People were surprised because the airblast occurs after they see the meteorite disappear