PATHOGENESIS OF ATHEROSCLEROSIS AND ITS CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
– Study Questions
1. Where is the incidence of atherosclerosis increasing? Where is the incidence decreasing?
2. Why is the incidence of atherosclerosis the same in men and women?
3. What is atherosclerosis? What type of disease is it? Where does it manifest?
4. How does atherosclerosis develop? Where does each stage typically occur over time?
5. Which layer of the artery is affected by atherosclerosis?
6. How does atherosclerosis present in patients? How do their arteries compare to healthy
7. How does platelet development start? Which molecules are involved in this process?
8. What is the name of macrophages that ingest cholesterol? Where are they found?
9. What types of lesions do collections of foam cells create? What can they develop into?
10. How are plaques initiated?
11. How do plaques progress?
12. What is a fibrofatty plaque? What defines this plaque?
13. What is the response to injury hypothesis?
14. How do cardiovascular risk factors fit into the response to injury hypothesis? What are
the two major categories of these risk factors? What risk factors fall into each category?
15. Which modifiable risk factor is the most important? Why?
16. What is hyperlipidemia? Which type of cholesterol is desired? What influences the
amount of each type of cholesterol? Which fat level is least important?
17. What is hypertension? How does it contribute to the risk of developing atherosclerosis?
18. What are the minor risk factors?
19. What is the mechanism of atherosclerosis-related diseases?