Sociology 2140- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 26 pages long!)

165 views26 pages

Document Summary

Global sociological imagination: central theme: (cid:449)e are (cid:374)ot alo(cid:374)e all of us are deepl(cid:455) i(cid:374)tert(cid:449)i(cid:374)ed (cid:449)ith the reality of all nations in the world. Sociological imagination: c. wright mills (1959: the sociological imagination or perspective enables us to grasp the connection between history and biography. Levels of sociological analysis: macrosociology e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)es a(cid:374)d i(cid:374)terprets large scale forces that i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)ce people"s conduct in public and private spaces, microsociology emphasis is placed on social interaction or what people do when they. Social institutions: family > education > economy > politics > religion. Why study social problems: to understand social forces that shape our lives, personal and societal levels, to gain new insights into ourselves and connections, between our world and other people, to make more effective decisions. Studying social problems: co(cid:373)(cid:373)o(cid:374) se(cid:374)se does(cid:374)"t (cid:449)ork, sociological imagination is needed, private troubles ~ public issues (ie. unemployment) Identifying social problems: differing opinions solution or problem. Perceived to be a social problem publicly: 2.