November 15, 2011 Lecture
- Quiz on November 17: Chapter 40, 41, 44 + Bonus 37
- add commas, colons, semi-colons, apostrophe’s
- Bonus Quiz: paragraphs that are punctuated; underline verbs
- Takes 4 best marks from the 5 quizzes
-Know your thesis: What is the purpose of the text? Persuasive, Argumentative, informative?
- Consider whether the thesis is stated or implied
- Think about how the author develops their thesis (by referring to evidence)
- What form does the evidence take? Facts, statistics, examples; expert opinion cited
- Does the author make an Appeal? Are they appealing to your intellect, reason, or are they
appealing to you emotionally (pathos)? Inappropriate Appeals: logical fallacies (chapter 4)
- Oversimplifications: either/or fallacy (the author only gives two options for something
when there are many more) , hasty generalizations (without going into appropriate
- complex issue represented in simplistic manner
- Evasion: Begging the question in which one states an opinion as though it were fact.
“UWO is greatest school in the country”
- writer is turning away from issue at hand.