CH111 Midterm: CP102 - Midterm Notes

23 Pages

Department
Chemistry
Course Code
CH111
Professor
John Saville

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 23 pages of the document.
Intro to Micro Processing
Chapter 1: Using Technology to Change the World
- Recent political and global issues are showing that technology is accelerating change around the world and
galvanizing groups of people in new ways
Technology on the World Stage
Political Issues
Social Media
- Social Media: Websites or apps that allow users to create and share content and/or participate in social
networking with others
- Enable the gathering of groups of people to connect and exchange ideas, and they have brought together
people facing repression and censorship in many countries.
- Politicians worldwide have also begun to incorporate social media as part of their political strategy
o Use to communicate with their constituents
- Proven to be a very effective way of motivating people to vote
- I.E. The Irish referendum on marriage equality meant many Irish Living Abroad traveled home just to vote,
documenting their trips using #HomeToVote
o Ireland become the first country to legalize gay marriage through a popular vote
- Providing a level of instant connection and information distribution that is reshaping the world
Crisis- Mapping Tool
- Another example of the interaction of technology and society is the software tool Ushahidi (Testimony)
o Is a crisis-mapping tool that collects information from e-mails, SMS, blog posts, and twitter tweets
and then maps them, instantly making the information publicly available
o Created following, a disputed election in Kenya when violence broke out all over the country
Other Global Issues
Health Care
- Infectious diseases account for about 1/5 of all deaths worldwide
- The odds of a flu pandemic occurring in the next century are nearly 100%
o With newer scientific visualization tools, scientists are developing antibodies for flue viruses and
even HIV, viruses that are difficult to target because they continually change shape.
- Computationally intense modeling software is helping researchers increase the pace of vaccine production,
saving lives.
- Retinal prosthetics is another example of global health concerns being addressed with technology
o Macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa are two diseases that destroy the retina
Working on a microchip that can replace the function of the retina
The Environment
- What if every cell phone in the world had build-in atmospheric sensors?
- Smart internet-connected water sprinklers
find more resources at oneclass.com
The Digital Divide
- Great gap in the levels of internet access and the availability of technical tolls in different regions of the
world
o Digital Divide: The discrepancy between those who have access to the opportunities and
knowledge that computers and the Internet offer and those who do not
Prevents us from using all the ids o the plaet to sole the plaets pole
This challenge created by technology is also being answered by technology
- Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) is a plan to focus resources on the talented mathematical minds of Africa
o By expanding the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences across the continental Cambridge
professor Neil Turok Founded AIMS; Bring together the brightest young minds across Africa with
the best lecturers in the world
Technology and Our Society
- Technology is allowing us to redefine very fundamental parts of our social makeup How we think, how
we connect with each other, and how we purchase and consume products
Technology Impacts How We Think
What We Think About
- Information and products were being served up at an amazing rate, and the pattern of consumption
became a habit
- Moe ad oe e appliatios ega to appea that alloed eah idiidual to eoe a eato of
the web
o A new kind of internet came into being; Web 2.0: Tools and web-based services that emphasize
online collaboration; Now everyone could collaborate internationally at the click of a mouse
- Web 2.0 has fostered a dramatic shift across the world from simply consuming to having the ability to
volunteer and collaborate on projects
o Cognitive Surplus: The combination of leisure time and the tools needed to be creative
The olds populatio has a estiated  tillio hous a ea of fee tie; he oupled
with the available media tools and the easy connectivity of Web 2.0, Ushahidi etc. emerge
- Why would anybody bother wo work on projects like these in their free time?
o Modern theories of motivations show that what pushes people to apply their free time in altruistic
causes, for no money, is the excitement of autonomy, mastery, and purpose
o Autonomy: The freedom to work without constant direction and control
o Mastery: The feeling of confidence and excitement from seeing your own skills progress
o Purpose: The understanding that you are working for something larger than yourself
- These 3 factors play into how we are fundamentally wired and can produce incredibly motivated behavior
o The combo of motivation, technology, and a cognitive surplus is leading to powerful projects that
are changing the world
Technology Impacts How We Connect
Connecting Through Music
- People connect intimately by creating and sharing music
o Blend (blend.io) is a site that allows people to exchange the songs they have written as well as the
electronic data and setting they used to create the song
o Blend is a pulishig house, distiutig ad sellig its uses digital usi fo the though all
major outlets like iTunes, Spotify etc.; Get a 100 likes
Connecting Through Business
- One of the most profound ways we can connect with each other is to suppot othe peoples deas
- Kickstarter helps us connect in this way by allowing people to post their ideas and ask for funding directly
o Donors are given rewards; Crowdfunding: Asking for small donations from a large number of
people, often using the internet; a style of generating capital to start a business through social
media
Technology Impacts How We Consume
- Teholog is hagig all aspets of ho e deide hat ell purchase and how we actually buy goods
and services
Marketing
- New strategies in marketing are counting on the fact that most people have a cell phone with a camera
and internet access
o QR (Quick Response) Codes: Technology that lets any piece of print in the real world host a live link
to online information and video content
~ 82% of shoppers use their cell phone to go on the internet before they make a purchase;
location-aware price comparison tools
- Crowdsourcing: The phenomenon of consumers checking in with the voice of the crowd before making
purchases
o Chek peoples edit o the ualit of ites
Access Versus Ownership
- Idea of oeship is eolig; Ites like as ad ikes a eoe susiptios istead of lage oe-
time purchases
o Zipcar; Call a Bike (Germany); Citi Bike (NYC)
- Subscription-style business models are spreading now to smaller goods
- Collaborative Consumption: Joining together as a group to use a specific product more efficiently
How Will Technology Improve Your Life?
- Technology is creating huge changes in the world as well as in how we behave socially
- Being Computer literate, know their capabilities and limitations and that you know how to use them safely
and efficiently
Computer Literacy
- Computer Literate: Being Familiar enough with computers that a user knows how to use them and
understand their capabilities and limitation
- What it means to be a savvy computer user and consumer
o Avoiding hackers and viruses
o Protecting your privacy
o Understanding the real risks: Able to separate the real privacy and security risks from things you
dot hae to o aout
o Using the web wisely: How to find information effectively
o Avoiding online annoyances
Spam: Unwanted or junk e-mail

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Intro to Micro Processing Chapter 1: Using Technology to Change the World Recent political and global issues are showing that technology is accelerating change around the world and galvanizing groups of people in new ways Technology on the World Stage Political Issues Social Media Social Media: Websites or apps that allow users to create and share content andor participate in social networking with others Enable the gathering of groups of people to connect and exchange ideas, and they have brought together people facing repression and censorship in many countries. Politicians worldwide have also begun to incorporate social media as part of their political strategy o Use to communicate with their constituents Proven to be a very effective way of motivating people to vote I.E. The Irish referendum on marriage equality meant many Irish Living Abroad traveled home just to vote, documenting their trips using HomeToVote o Ireland become the first country to legalize gay marriage through a popular vote Providing a level of instant connection and information distribution that is reshaping the world Crisis Mapping Tool Another example of the interaction of technology and society is the software tool Ushahidi (Testimony) o Is a crisismapping tool that collects information from emails, SMS, blog posts, and twitter tweets and then maps them, instantly making the information publicly available o Created following, a disputed election in Kenya when violence broke out all over the country Other Global Issues Health Care Infectious diseases account for about 15 of all deaths worldwide The odds of a flu pandemic occurring in the next century are nearly 100 o With newer scientific visualization tools, scientists are developing antibodies for flue viruses and even HIV, viruses that are difficult to target because they continually change shape. Computationally intense modeling software is helping researchers increase the pace of vaccine production, saving lives. Retinal prosthetics is another example of global health concerns being addressed with technology o Macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa are two diseases that destroy the retina Working on a microchip that can replace the function of the retina The Environment What if every cell phone in the world had buildin atmospheric sensors? Smart internetconnected water sprinklers
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit