What is a public?
According to Michael Warner
1. Is a relation among strangers
2. The address of public speech is personal and impersonal, not part of a
public until addressed
3. A public is the social space created by the reflexive circulation of
4. The public is poetic and world making
5. A public is constituted rough mere attention, a public consists only by
virtue it must predicate some degree of attention, however notional, of its
6. Publics act historically according to the temporality of their circulation
7. The public is self organized
What contrasts a public?
Audiences who are receiving content and very different
Marketplace of ideas
Conceptual link between communications and economics; the evolution of ideas through
HabermasAnalyzing relations between media and politics in a mass democracy; to
oversee the absolutist state, & protect individuals and the private sphere from the
powerful. The public sphere arose from the transition from rule of absolutist monarchs to
This arose with the transformation of communications occurring at the time from the
printing press to licensed printing to the Enlightenment.
Access is guaranteed to all citizens. A portion of the public sphere