The Big Sleep 10/2/2012 3:38:00 PM
Large mansion, rich house, money for private detective
1940‟s old fashioned shops and fashion
1. Philip Marlowe played by Humphrey Bogart
2. Vivian Rutledge played by Lauren Bacall
3. Carmen Sternwood played by Martha Vickers
4. Book Store Worker played by Dorothy Malone
5. Eddie Mars played by John Ridgely
6. Mona Mars played by Peggy Knudsen
1. Marlowe goes into the second bookstore to get a look at Geiger; is able to
follow him home and get a good look. Establishes relationship with the sales
clerk in the bookstore. After following Geiger, manages to hear gunshots
and follow him into a house where Geiger has been shot.
2. Marlowe finds Carmen in the house with Geiger shot; she is drugged and
incoherent. Takes her home where her sister says, “She never remembers
anyways.” This shows that this is not a one time occurrence. Than goes
back to the scene of the crime to find that Geiger is no longer there,
someone moved his body.
3. Marlowe brings Carmen back to Geiger‟s house where he was shot, She
blames it on Joe Brody with a smirk on her face; guilty face while he asks
her about the murder. Smirk; a reason behind her blaming Brody.
4. Marlowe goes to Brody‟s; walks in on Brody trying to take money from
Vivian; Brody threatens Marlowe with a gun; Carmen knocks on the door
and threatens Brody for her picture. Marlowe takes all the guns, receives
the picture and gets ride of Carmen. After discussing Geiger‟s death there is
a knock at the door; as the door opens, Brody gets shot and Marlowe begins
to chase the shooter. Follows the shooter and collects him, gets him into
the car and takes him to Geiger‟s.
5. Marlowe drives Vivian home from a party; he saves her from a mugging
on the way to the car; connection in the car due to Marlowe comforting her
about the mugging; the kiss in the car as their way of manipulating each
other; Marlowe interrogates her about her relationship with Eddie Mars.