HI101 Midterm: All Notes up to Midterm This is all my notes up to midterm. Classes I didn't attend I received lecture notes from someone else, so hopefully no lectures are mssing. I tried to write as much of the important stuff she was saying, so I'm quite sure my notes

90 views32 pages
16 Oct 2011
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

The late roman empire: a flawed collossus (21-25) 476 not the end of the roman culture. 2 important- - danube, rhine northern borders of roman empire. Empire too large for orders to be sent across. Had to be able to redirect troops. Were the ones who collected taxes, decurions made up shortfall of tax money from civitas. Tribal units, east=centralized monarchy (equal to rome) Coin worth as much as it weighed. Army produced own emperors, lower than aristocracy. Anti dynastic can"t pass on to heirs. Not allowed to change jobs if you are in a protected occupation. Aristocracy interested in local affairs, not the empire. From persecution to triumph: christianity and the roman empire (25-32) State cult linked to the well-being of the empire. Saw other religions as misguided and demons. Pliny: secret crimes communion ( romans didn"t understand it) Roman gods didn"t change when on earth. People who recanted could not return to the clergy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers