Monday, April 17, 2017
IN ITSELF AND FOR ITSELF - he believes sexual desire is not merely the desire for orgasm or for
procreation -but rather a more basic desire to be completed, or simply a desire TO BE. Basically we want
to be God; a being who is both free like a subject and complete like an object- obviously an impossible
goal, but gives us meaning and motivation
• According to sartre, it is our life task to create a self
• BEING IN ITSELF
• Unconscious being
• Act of existing has characteristics of completeness (chair, desk)
• All things non-human/living?
• Two types of being: 1. conscious thought 2. ability to reflect upon and be aware of oneself and
• BEING FOR ITSELF
• Conscious being
• Being of mankind
• Conscious awareness of the self
• Experience the vertigo of its own body >> conscious of its own consciousness but still incomplete.
EX. OF THE IDEA OF BEING IN ITSELF FOR ITSELF
GOD : Wanting to be both free like a subject ad complete like an object.
• Striving towards being that ideal in that striving, we find meaning in life
• In that pursuit we find meaning, and the experiences we encounter in that pursuit.
• Sexual desire aims at incarnation, embodiment, experience of consciousness of body.
• We want both yourself, and the other to experience each other in terms of consciousness and our
FUNDAMENTAL PROJECT: The process to being God (aspect of for itself)
What does he mean by the the fundamental project?
• Project of becoming a self - project of being : original project
• Something we can never complete, always incomplete.
• Humans don’t possess completeness that objects have
• Always In the process of becoming something
• Can never be fully characterized as being complerete
• Desire drives us to be complete
THE LOOK - characterizatio?
• The visual role incomig to uderstand myself and others through sexual desire
• Phenomenoenalogical experience
• Refers to be myself, I either see the other person as an object or I become an object to them
• If I am seeing the other person as an object, I am seeig their eyes as empirical objects.
• When I experiances the look for someone, I am not only experiancing the eyes but I am
experiancig myself ad an object for the other.
Reveals two things to me : • Another subject exist
• I am an object for others or I have an objective side to myself/being
What is the Goal of Sexual Desire?
• I experience another's free subjectivity by my subjectivity for them
• We desire conscious desire
• Not only aiming at the other person as a body, an embodied consciousness.
RELATIONSHIPS OF CONSCIOUS AND BODY
• GOAL: to experience ourselves as an object and subject by way of the other.
WHAT ROLE DOES THE CARRESS PLAY:
• It is the attempt at communicating sexual desire
• The experience of the caress is making the other person desire me as I desire them
• Mutual experience of contact between two people, want myself in the same way.
WHY ARE THESE PERVERSIONS: Sadism, Masochism, Threesomes, Shoefetishisms, Voyeurism.
• Acts that deviate from formality may be considered as sexual perversions as the central motive.
• SADISM: reducing someone to an object
• Masochism: when someone makes you the object
• Voyeurism: does not require any recognition by his Object at all, subject is not participating In
sexual activity with the object.
• RETIFISM: if an object is not alive, the experience is reduced to an awareness of ones own
NAGLE: sexual perversion is a psychological concern rather than a pysiological concern.
• Must express unnatural sexual preference.
FOUCAULT : ARS EROTICA VS SCIENTIA SEXUALIS
• Ars erotica : sex as an artform, sex in terms of an erotic event.
• Scientia sexualis: viewing sex in terms of science in which we gain our understanding.
• Aristophanes view: love is expressed in that desire to be returned with ones other half
• There were once three types of human beings; male, female, and androgynous: a form of both
male and female elements together.
• The desire to love eachother is born into every human being In attempt to make one out of two,
and heal the wounds of nature.
• Each of us is a matching half of a human while alays seeking the half that matches us.
Socrates' speech: Report of diotema: asks is love such as to be a love of somethig or othing
- a thing that desires, desires something of whic