ADMS 1010 (94)

ADMS 2511 Midterm Study Tips

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Administrative Studies
ADMS 1010
Othon Alexandrakis

AK/ADMS 2511 – MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS Studying Tips For the Midterm Examinations, Effective date: June 11, 2012 Overhead 1 – “Study Tips” Objectives The midterm examination for this course will be three hours long. It will consist of small cases, each question with multiple parts in the required. The purpose of this module is to provide you with some general suggestions for studying our midterm examination that also could apply to other examinations. We will look at a general process, then focus in on dealing with the small cases. Overhead 2 – Studying for an Examination Before you begin studying, you should make sure that you have covered all of the course materials that will be examinable. As you went through each chapter and the online modules, you could have been preparing study notes to assist you in the last week or so before the test. Note that examinable material includes the overheads, the Units for the overheads (in Word or via Multimedia), the readings (chapters and Technology Guides), and the cases/practice questions with associated discussion in the Units. Review your notes. Make sure that you have main points organized. If you have any questions, or if any material is unclear, send me an email. Send your query in enough time so that I can respond to it, and so that you can incorporate the response into your studying. Check the Announcements folder of our web site to see if there have been any broadcast messages about the midterm examination or about the course. Set a schedule. Make sure that you have a quiet space in the time that you have set aside for studying. Once you feel satisfied that you have adequately reviewed your materials, do the practice midterm examination. If possible do the midterm at one sitting so that you will get a realistic assessment of how you can handle the exam. Then review your answers and see if there is anything else that you need to study, or if you need to change your writing or study approaches. How much time should you spend? It’s hard to tell – the number of hours that are needed depends on how quickly you absorb material, and upon your previous work experience or information systems experience. It also depends upon how much note taking and preparation you have done on a weekly basis. Work out a study schedule that best suits your employment, family and social commitments. By being organized, you will take control of your course workload and achieve maximum results. 1 Overhead 3 – Practice, Practice, Practice! Depending upon how much time you have, and the way that you learn, repetition helps. Psychologists say we have a good chance of retaining new information if we recall it within 24 hours. If we recall it once again within a week, the memory hangs onto it. That’s why it is essential to look back at your notes, and to review them again before the week has ended. As simple as that sounds, it is often the difference between average and excellent marks, or between passing and failing. Try to do more than the bare minimum that is required. Your interest in a subject will jump dramatically if you read some supplementary material. Try to prepare ahead. Both your interest and your retention rate will soar if you have read your materials in advance. Often, what you thought might be boring turns out to be interesting. Overhead 4 – Overcoming Procrastination If you constantly find yourself putting off working on the course and delaying your study time, then you are procrastinating. I hope that you set yourself clear goals and targets right at the beginning of the course, and have been working through your materials. However, now we are approaching the midterm (depending upon when you are listening to or reading this), and I hope that you have not put off studying until the last minute! If you have, don’t delay any longer, and just get started! Decide how much time you can spend, and do as much as you can in that available time. Break down the big studying task into small chunks. Big projects can feel overwhelming. Break things down into the smallest parts that you can handle comfortably. If a chapter is too much for you, deal with it section by section. Use the chapter review questions as a guide. Look at each question, read the pages that pertain to that question, and then try to answer the review question verbally. You do not need to remember everything. If you take a look at the practice midterm examination, you can see that usually remembering a few points that are relevant to the question asked will be enough for you to pass the question. Be sure to review all of the cases, and the partial answers that we discussed in our Units. Refer to text pages listed for those cases as well. Choosing to delay and choosing to study are both conscious choices. You need to take responsibility for each day and assess whether you have completed what you want to get done. If not, then at the end of the day or the beginning of the next day you need to revise your schedule so that you can move forward. Taking responsibility for delay means that you identify why you are delaying so that you can deal with it. Be able to finish the sentence that starts off “I am choosing to delay because …” Positive self-statements are motivating self-statements that you use to encourage yourself to move in what you believe is a positive direction. For example, “if I start studying 2 today, then there will be less work for me to do tomorrow,” or the classic “there’s no time like the present.” Please do not catastrophize – jumping to the conclusion that you will fail or that you are no good at something w
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.