Practice test - Midterm # 1
Biol1000 practice test May 16, 2013
1. Which of the following is not true of pigments?
A. They are made up of alternating single and double bonds
B. They possess color corresponding to the color of absorbed light
C. they possess delocalized electrons that absorb light energy and move to an excited state.
D. It is characterized by a conjugated system
2. Sunlight influences which of the following?
A. Energy production in naked mole rates
B. Production of vitamin D in humans
C. Bioluminescence in Angler fish
D. Energy production by the mitochondria
3. Which of the following is true with respect to Retinal?
A. It is a light absorbing protein only found in plants and bacteria.
B. Proteins will absorb light and cause a change in the structure retinal.
C. It is also known as Rhodopsin.
D. A conformation shift of retinal will affect protein activity.
4. In the phylogenetic tree below, which species are most closely related?
A. Thermoproteus and Halophiles
B. Spirochetes and Halophiles
C. Proteobacteria and Entamoebae
D. Pyrodicticum and Entamoebae
Page 1 of 5 Practice test - Midterm # 1
5. I am studying a prokaryote that gets its energy by oxidizing hydrogen sulphide (H S) 2nd
obtains its carbon from carbon dioxide (CO ).2It is a
6. The cytoskeleton___________.
A. Is composed primarily of protein.
B. Is composed of RNA and protein with some carbohydrates.
C. Is a rigid support system for the cell, much like our own skeleton.
D. Is only found in plant cells.
7. Which of the following statements about cells is not true?
A. The composition of the cytosol is the same in prokaryotes and eukaryotes (e.g. same
B. The DNA of a eukaryote is found localized to a central region called a nucleoid.
C. The DNA of both prokaryotes and eukaryotes is organized into chromosomes.
D. All cells possess a selectively permeable membrane.
8. Nucleotides are made up of deoxyribose, a phosphate group and ________.
A. A purine
B. A pyrimidine
C. A purine or a pyrimidine base
D. A phosphodiester bond
9. Prokaryotic cells do not contain__________.
A. A plasma membrane
B. A cell wall
D. A nucleus
10. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic that chloroplasts and mitochondria share?
A. Have their own ribosomes.
B. Contain multiple membranes.
C. Have a linear chromosome.
D. Capable of dividing/reproducing within the cell.
Page 2 of 5 Practice test - Midterm # 1
11. Which of the following statements, about mitochondria and chloroplasts, does NOT
support the Theory of Endosymbiosis?
A. Both are about the same size and shape as many bacterial cells.
B. They contain DNA
C. They contain ribosomes
D. Both organelles are surrounded by a membrane
12. What is the relationship between the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and the Golgi
A. Both are involved in protein synthesis and/or modification.
B. Both are derived from the mitochondrial membrane.
C. Both are associated with bound ribosomes.
D. A, B and C.
13. An amoeba (single-celled eukaryote) engulfs a bacterium. The bacterium is now enclosed
in a vesicle inside the amoeba. The membrane of this vesicle is closely related (very
similar) to the
A. Nuclear membrane
C. Mitochondrial membrane
D. Chloroplast membrane
14. I am studying a cell and note that it has huge amounts of smooth ER. Which of the