Chemistry
Course
CHEM 1001
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
YORK UNIVERSITY NAME:___________________________________ SC/CHEM 1001M STUDENT NO.:____________________________ Quiz #1 February 2, 2012 50 min 30 marks Use blue pen. The final answers should be in ink Problem No Marks (1) 1 ReactionA2 C  has an experimentally determined rate law of k[A][B]. Is this reaction an elementary process? Justify your answer in 1 sentence. No. The stoichiometry coefficient for B is equal to 2 and is different from the reaction order for B which is equal to 1 2 ReactionAB DE is hypothesized to proceed through the following mechanism: 1 (1) A   I D (2) I C k2 E (4) a) What rate of reaction does this mechanism suggest for the steady state? Rate =k 2I][C] k1[A][B] = k 2I][C] [I] = 1 [A][B]/( k2[C]) Rate =k [I][C] = k [C] k [A][B]/( k [C]) = k [A][B] 2 2 1 2 1 (1) b) The rate of elementary process (21 at time tady state is e1ual to R . What is the rate of the overall reaction at the same time? Justify your answer in a single sentence. Rate of overall reaction = R 1 Justification: the rate of overall reaction is equal to those of the elementary steps in the steady state 1 3 The following data were obtained for the following reaction A + 2B   C + D in three consecutive experiments Experiment No Initial [A], M Initial [B], M Initial Reaction Rate, M/s 1 2.0  104 1.0  10 4 3.0  10 5 4 4 5 2 2.0  10 2.0  10 6.0  10 3 0.5  104 2.0  10 4 1.5  10 5 (2) a) By doing simple analysis of the data in the table determine the reaction order with respect to reactant A. Explain your reasoning in no more than 2 sentences. m n Rate = k[A] [B] Experiments 2 & 3: [B] = const, Initial rate decreases by a factor of 4 when [A] decreases by a factor of 4. Thus, m = 1 . (2) b) By doing simple analysis of the data in the table determine the reaction order with respect to reactant B. Explain your reasoning in no more than 2 sentences. m n Rate = k[A] [B] Experiments 1 & 2: [A] = const, Initial rate increases by a factor of 2 when [B] increases by a factor of 2. Thus, n = 1 . (2) c) What is the value of k? Do not forget to provide the units. m n Rate = k[A] [B] m n k = Rate /([A] [B] ) = {from experiment 1} =      (3  10 5M/s)/(
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 1001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit