COMN 2111 (5)

COMN2111 Final Notes.docx

8 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Communication Studies
COMN 2111
Dalton Kehoe

COMN2111 Final Exam Study Notes Communication Effectiveness: Skills about Skills (ShortAnswer) We often don’t respond effectively to others when we feel challenged Since most of our natural responses are automatic, over-learned, unconscious, we need to be conscious and manage our reactions How? By becoming mindful, flexible, metacommunicators If we don’t consciously manage our talk: we enact 7 axiom of interpersonal communication (need to feel right when challenged), we speak defensively Defending the Conceptual System of the Self (Essay/Specific) Denial: refuse to admit threat is relevant to self or assume it can be postponed Avoidance: refusing to face threat; not being in situation where you might have to deal with it Rationalization: most common: making excuses, explaining away threats Intellectualization: engaging in detached analyses of threatening problems Projection: opposite of burying inside, attribute threatening feelings to someone else Regression: revert to earlier more childlike state We Fail to Notice our Emotional Communication (Essay/Specific) TransactionalAnalysis (TA): connects needs to patterns of external behavior Internal ego states produce outward behavior to evoke appropriate response from others: Parent: critical/controlling, standard setting, nurturer Adult: problem solver, information getter Child: spontaneous, adapted, little “know it all” Paralanguage: sound of your voice shapes meaning of words; shows your emotional “position” in an exchange with another Change the Emotional Bidding in CONNECT Talk (Essay/Specfic) Exchanging information considered a “bid” Turning Toward: positive reaction to a bid Turning Against: negative reaction to a bid Turning Away: ignoring a bid Assumptions Behind CONNECT, CONTROL, DIALOGUE Talk (Essay/Specific) CONNECT (Essay)  Basic agreement, no tension, expectations clear basic agreement, no tension, expectations clear  Simple descriptions of other’s behavior and of events  Joking, story telling  Routine description of self  Actions, preferences, opinions, beliefs  Voice tone relaxed CONTROL(ShortAnswer)  I must manage the other or situation to maintain my face  I persist - you change  My story is obvious and is the truth  Truth based on real data - my data  I have access to all the data As C.O.N.T.R.O.L. Talk gets heavy:  I know what you meant – I tell you so  You are to blame DIALOGUE (Essay)  Solve problem not save face -manage self not other  We both have to change  My story is my story - obvious only to me  You have your story - obvious only to you  I have all the data only when I listen to your story As D.I.A.L.O.G.U.E. Deepens:  You clarify your meaning –I don’t try to do it for you  How did we contribute to this situation? Style Elements of CONTROL & DIALOGUE Talk (Essay/Specific) CONTROL Critical Judgment Offer Them New Information Negotiate a Change in Them TryAgain (Repeat yourself) Righteous Anger/Indignation Overt/Aggressive/PassiveAggressive Talk Lay Blame DIALOGUE Description: communicate valid information I-Messages: own your story Asking Questions: where, why, when, who, how, how much Listening Actively: show empathy OpenAcknowledgement: situational, disarming, personal, hypothetical Genuine Support: affirm, feedback Understand Fir
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.