Study Guides (275,931)
CA (151,063)
York (13,987)
CRIM (166)
CRIM 2650 (26)
Anita Lam (14)
Final

CRIM 2650 Study Guide - Final Guide: Standpoint Theory, Labeling Theory, Enculturation

3 Pages
Winter 2014

Department
Criminology
Course Code
CRIM 2650
Professor
Anita Lam
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Theories of Criminology: 2650
Lecture March 6 and Tutorial Discussion
Theoretical roots and antecedents of subcultural criminology
Labelling theory Becker and Cohen
Post Modern Sensibility: Subcultural criminologists are interested in the origins of meaning. That
labels and categories are socially constructed. Various lifestyle choices dictate meaning as do
different cultures and regions.
Clifford Geertz's concept of culture Analysis of Semiotics
>We are all caught in the web of culture, webs are spun by the participants of certain area. It is
an ensemble of stories we tell ourselves about ourselves- Narratives. Culture gives our life and
our behaviour meaning.
1. Cultural deviance theory
2. Labelling theory: Becker and Cohen
Stanley Cohen
1. Moral Panic: The media is implicated in defining the moral boundaries
within a society. They promote fear and anxiety in the general populous to
generate an underlying sense of crisis.
2. Deviance Application: Societal reaction increases the amount of deviance
within that society; it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy mechanism.
3. Postmodern sensibility: semiotics
4. Clifford Geertz’s conceptualization of culture; We are all caught in the web of culture,
webs are spun by the participants of certain area. It is an ensemble of stories we tell
ourselves about ourselves- Narratives. Culture gives our life and our behavior meaning.
Culture as web of significance that gives our life and our behaviours meaning
Ensemble of stories we tell ourselves about ourselves  narratives
Focus on deviant youth subcultures: lifestyle choices
E.g. The ‘Chav’
-Focus on deviant youth subcultures and lifestyle choices. Important to study, they rebel
against social norms. E.g. the Chav (Britain) Young person, not educated or employed.
They have been associated gangs, subculture, and crime. Style choices; they wear
hoodies and track pants, labelled by what you wear. They engage in crime to combat
their boredom. Behaviors: Conspicuous consumerism (designer labels.) They are a
symbolized as delinquents and lawlessness (folk devils).
Examples of Subcultural Criminology

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Theories of Criminology: 2650 Lecture March 6 and Tutorial Discussion Theoretical roots and antecedents of subcultural criminology Labelling theory Becker and Cohen Post Modern Sensibility: Subcultural criminologists are interested in the origins of meaning. That labels and categories are socially constructed. Various lifestyle choices dictate meaning as do different cultures and regions. Clifford Geertz's concept of culture Analysis of Semiotics >We are all caught in the web of culture, webs are spun by the participants of certain area. It is an ensemble of stories we tell ourselves about ourselves- Narratives. Culture gives our life and our behaviour meaning. 1. Cultural deviance theory 2. Labelling theory: Becker and Cohen  Stanley Cohen 1. Moral Panic: The media is implicated in defining the moral boundaries within a society. They promote fear and anxiety in the general populous to generate an underlying sense of crisis. 2. Deviance Application: Societal reaction increases the amount of deviance within that society; it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy mechanism. 3. Postmodern sensibility: semiotics 4. Clifford Geertz’s conceptualization of culture; We are all caught in the web of culture, webs are spun by the participants of certain area. It is an ensemble of stories we tell ourselves about ourselves- Narratives. Culture gives our life and our behavior meaning.  Culture as web of significance that gives our life and our behaviours meaning  Ensemble of stories we tell ourselves about ourselves  narratives  Focus on deviant youth subcultures: lifestyle choices  E.g. The ‘Chav’ -Focus on deviant youth subcultures and lifestyle choices. Important to study, they rebel against social norms. E.g. the Chav (Britain) Young person, not educated or employed. They have been associated gangs, subculture, and crime. Style choices; they wear hoodies and track pants, labelled by what you wear. They engage in crime to combat their boredom. Behaviors: Conspicuous consumerism (designer labels.) They are a symbolized as delinquents and lawlessness (folk devils). Examples of Subcultural Criminology Manifesto form-(From the reading.) Stakes out territory and specifies the terms of its engagement. These subcultures develop in opposition to specific contextual factors. Positions itself against administrative criminology. >20th century- expansion of the Cjs and its surrounding institutions. >Administrative favors a view from up high, and subcultures favors views from the bottom. Standpoint theory: Standpoint refers to a place from which to see the world. People are differentially situated depending on their social position and social situation. As such they may know different things because they are positioned to see the world from a diff perspective. >Objectivity does not exist, knowledge is always situated and partial. >No mere reduction of knowledge to social position. Women have diff perspective than men, but the knowledge of women is not homogenous or all the same. >Knowledge is always situated; Implications >Privileges a subjective approach of knowledge, experience is the root of knowledge, meaning
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit