Department
Criminology
Course Code
CRIM 2650
Professor
Anita Lam
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
CRIM 2653: Tutorial Final Exam Preparation Activity – Clarifying the Questions
General Comments:
- Look at assignment two instructions and description of how important an
introductory paragraph is and how it must me structured and what to include in it.
- There are multiple ways of approaching these questions
- Make sure to answer the essences of what specific question is asking (cover all
parts, sub-questions). Answer fully.
- You can be more specific in your responses, as long as you justify your
approach.
1) Qualitative research usually brings researchers into close and intimate contact
with their participants, and this close contact may have important implications for
the researcher both in terms of their analyses of their data and in terms of their
ethical conduct. What are some of the ways that qualitative researchers maintain
their scientific and ethical integrity?
Qualitative vs. Quantitative. What is qualitative research and how is it different? Unique
contributions.
Topic 4. Defining Qualitative Research
What is the nature of Qualitative Research? (types, how they work with vulnerable
groups…)
Look at research ethics and the back ground, topic 4 + Powerpoints
Potential Readings: Israel & Hay – “Research Ethics in Criminology
John Lowman & Ted Plays
Some examples can be drawn form the following readings:
- Government accused of research bias (pdf)
- Research bias and integrity (pdf)
Potential Discussions about:
- Informed consent, confidentiality, harms & benefits…
- Tri-council Policy core priniciples: Respect for persons, concern for welfare,
justice
- Respect for: Human dignity, free and informed consent, vulnerable persons,
privacy & confidentiality, justice & inclusiveness, balancing harms & benefits,
minimizing harm
Risk: Non-maleficence (minimize risk of harm or misconduct, avoidance, minimization
strategies, debriefing, support & advocacy)
Credibility, Trustworthiness, Transferability etc…
Reading by Tracy (about ethical integrity) Qualitative Quality: Eight “Big Tent”
Criteria for Excellent Qualitative Quality
find more resources at oneclass.com
Relevant Lectures/Powerpoints:
February 10 – Topic 10: Quality Control in Qualitative Research
February 21 – Research Design: Overview
Also Look at early course material about scientific integrity
Research Integrity:
- Morals & values (scientific misconduct)
- Analysis & Reporting (fabrication, falsification, plagiarism)
- Professional status, methods, character or standards
- Achieve valid results (true to results)
- Honesty / transparency (no fabrication)
Intimate contact, for example in field research – look at discussions (lecture and tutorial)
about the role of the researcher and their level of involvement (choices and their
impacts).
- You could also look at unobtrusive methods to illustrate how important it is to
build relationships (identifying what issues arise when you do not).
Disadvantages – Slide 6 of powerpoints
Relevant terms/Keywords: Reflexivity, specific qualitative methodologies (ex. Field
research, Ethnography…)
2) Experimental Criminology and Evaluation Research share certain common
characteristics in terms of the knowledge-claims they make, and there has been a
tendency on the part of policy-makers to rely very heavily on these two
approaches to research. Why would policy-makers find these approaches
attractive? What do the critics have to say about these research methods?
January 25th & February 1st – Lectures and powerpoint for experimental criminology
February 21st define evaluation research and why policy makers rely on it.
Readings:
Mike Hough “Criminology and the Role of Experimental Research” (Chapter 13)
Heather Strong & Lawrence W. Sherman (Chapter 26) - Topic 8
Karin Tusinski & James Byrne (Chapter 23) - Topic 9
OHBC Reading (p.996 –> chart)
May also include parts of Joel Best reading
Topic 2 discusses public policy and policy makers
Start by identifying and defining the different methodologies, make sure you're touching
on all the different elements.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CRIM 2653: Tutorial Final Exam Preparation Activity – Clarifying the Questions General Comments: - Look at assignment two instructions and description of how important an introductory paragraph is and how it must me structured and what to include in it. - There are multiple ways of approaching these questions - Make sure to answer the essences of what specific question is asking (cover all parts, sub-questions). Answer fully. - You can be more specific in your responses, as long as you justify your approach. 1) Qualitative research usually brings researchers into close and intimate contact with their participants, and this close contact may have important implications for the researcher both in terms of their analyses of their data and in terms of their ethical conduct. What are some of the ways that qualitative researchers maintain their scientific and ethical integrity? Qualitative vs. Quantitative. What is qualitative research and how is it different? Unique contributions. Topic 4. Defining Qualitative Research What is the nature of Qualitative Research? (types, how they work with vulnerable groups…) Look at research ethics and the back ground, topic 4 + Powerpoints Potential Readings: Israel & Hay – “Research Ethics in Criminology” John Lowman & Ted Plays Some examples can be drawn form the following readings: - Government accused of research bias (pdf) - Research bias and integrity (pdf) Potential Discussions about: - Informed consent, confidentiality, harms & benefits… - Tri-council Policy core priniciples: Respect for persons, concern for welfare, justice - Respect for: Human dignity, free and informed consent, vulnerable persons, privacy & confidentiality, justice & inclusiveness, balancing harms & benefits, minimizing harm Risk: Non-maleficence (minimize risk of harm or misconduct, avoidance, minimization strategies, debriefing, support & advocacy) Credibility, Trustworthiness, Transferability etc… Reading by Tracy (about ethical integrity) Qualitative Quality: Eight “Big Tent” Criteria for Excellent Qualitative Quality 1 Relevant Lectures/Powerpoints: February 10 – Topic 10: Quality Control in Qualitative Research February 21 – Research Design: Overview Also Look at early course material about scientific integrity Research Integrity: - Morals & values (scientific misconduct) - Analysis & Reporting (fabrication, falsification, plagiarism) - Professional status, methods, character or standards - Achieve valid results (true to results) - Honesty / transparency (no fabrication) Intimate contact, for example in field research – look at discussions (lecture and tutorial) about the role of the researcher and their level of involvement (choices and their impacts). - You could also look at unobtrusive methods to illustrate how important it is to build relationships (identifying what issues arise when you do not). Disadvantages – Slide 6 of powerpoints Relevant terms/Keywords: Reflexivity, specific qualitative methodologies (ex. Field research, Ethnography…) 2) Experimental Criminology and Evaluation Research share certain common characteristics in terms of the knowledge-claims they make, and there has been a tendency on the part of policy-makers to rely very heavily on these two approaches to research. Why would policy-makers find these approaches attractive? What do the critics have to say about these research methods? th st January 25 & February 1 – Lectures and powerpoint for experimental criminology February 21st define evaluation research and why policy makers rely on it. Readings: Mike Hough “Criminology and the Role of Experimental Research” (Chapter 13) Heather Strong & Lawrence W. Sherman (Chapter 26) - Topic 8 Karin Tusinski & James Byrne (Chapter 23) - Topic 9 OHBC Reading (p.996 –> chart) May also include parts of Joel Best reading Topic 2 discusses public policy and policy makers Start by identifying and defining the different methodologies, make sure you're touching on all the different elements. 2 Experimental Criminology = A research design that isolates controls and manipulates an independent variable to measure its effects on the dependent variable. Allows researcher to manipulate variables and produce “unbiased” and “controlled” results. RCT – “gold standard” (external validity, generalizability) - Problems of “efficacy” vs “real-world” application - It fails to predict causes of recidivism or results of experimental intervention - Causality – does X cause Y? Critics – Hope says that there are no absolute cause and effects (causal paradox – problem of prediction – problem of selection…) - Ethics, bias, history (Outside factors and variables. What happens?) Evaluation Research = A methodological approach to evaluating research (policy- makers) - Are there clear accounts of criteria used for selection of cases for study, and of data collection and analysis? - Is there adequate evidence for and against the researcher’s arguments? - How systematic is the analysis? Empirical and tangible methods. - Silverman (Chapter 16) Asks very good questions that criticizes/scrutinizes the research so that it makes it transparent and understandable - Criticism = trustworthiness Look at similarities (common characteristics) between the two methodologies (as well as differences) – pros and cons (strengths & weaknesses) What policy-makers think about each approach and what critics have to say. Who is a policy maker? What do they do? (Talk about public policy and social conditions) Strategies identify and explain one do the elements, experimental research and evaluation research and how it relates to criminology. Bring in two readings to reference in your answer. Give examples. 3) One of the central criticisms of qualitative research methods is that they are not generalizable. In other words, they tend to be anecdotal in their results; thus, they cannot answer the “so what” question. How would you respond to this criticism of qualitative research methods? Discuss with reference to either Ethnography, Unobtrusive Methods, or Discourse Analysis. Define qualitative research and generalizability power point from January 29 , strengths and weakness related to policies. Take a side and defend against the criticism about qualitative research. 3 Topics 11, 12 & 5 Define qualitative research. Tracy Reading
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit