Study Guides (247,988)
Canada (121,207)
York University (10,190)
Economics (643)
ECON 2000 (15)
Midterm

Comprehensive Midterm Review A very thorough review of the content covered up to the midterm. A majority of the notes here are prepared based on slides and in-class discussions.

27 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Economics
Course
ECON 2000
Professor
Perry Sadorsky
Semester
Fall

Description
Variables: Q = quantity that buyers demand Q = quantity that producers supply P = price of output Y = aggregate income C = consumer spending I = investment G = government purchases NX = net exports K = capital (tools, machines and structures used in production) L = labor W = nominal wage (dollars per hour of work) R = nominal rental rate W/P = real wage (output earned per hour of work) R/P = real rental rate r = real interest rate (nominal interest rate corrected for inflation, also the output earned in the future by lending one unit of output today) V = velocity T = value of all transactions M = money supply K = how much money people wish to hold for each dollar of income (exogenous) = inflation rate i = nominal interest rate (not adjusted for inflation, also the dollar earned in future by lending one dollar today) e = expected inflation rate L = # of workers in the labour force E = # of employed workers U = # of unemployed U/L = unemployment rate s = rate of job separations (employed workers that separate from their jobs) (exogenous) f = rate of job finding (unemployed workers that find jobs) s = the saving rate (exogenous) = the rate of depreciation k* = the value at which capital per worker remains constant n = rate of population growth d = spending on domestic goods f= spending on foreign goods * = foreign or world version of the variable r* = foreign interest rate (exogenous) e = nominal exchange rate, the relative price of domestic currency in terms of foreign currency (e.g. Yen per Dollar) = real exchange rate, the relative price of domestic goods in terms of foreign goods (e.g. Japanese Big Macs per U.S. Big Mac) NX() = demand for dollars E = labour efficiency g = technological progress A = the amount of output for each unit of capital (exogenous and constant) u = fraction of labour in research (exogenous) Equations: Demand Equation: Q = D(P, Y) Shows that the quantity demanded is related to price and aggregate income GDP: Y = C + I + G + NX Y = the value of total output C + I + G + NX = aggregate expenditure C = consumer spending I = investment G = government spending NX = net exports GNP GDP = factor payments from abroad factor payments to abroad GDP Deflator: GDP Deflator = Nominal GDP/Real GDP Reflects whats happening to the overall level of prices in the economy CPI in any month: 100 x (cost of basket in that month/cost of basket in base period) Unemployment rate: (Unemployed/Labour Force) x 100 % of the labour force that is unemployed Labour force participation rate: (Labour Force/Population) x 100 The fraction of the adult population that participates in the labour force Production function: Y = F(K, L) Shows how much output (Y) the economy can produce from K units of capital and L units of labour; exhibits constant returns to scale Marginal Product of Labour (MPL): MPL = F(K, L+1) F(K, L) The extra output the firm can produce using an additional unit of labour (holding other inputs fixed) K = capital L = labour MPL = W/P Each firm hires labour up to this point W = nominal wage P = price of output W/P = real wage Marginal Product of Capital (MPK) MPK = R/P The extra output the firm can produce using an additional unit of capital (holding other inputs fixed) Firms maximize profit by choosing K such that MPK = R/P K = capital R = nominal rental rate P = price of output R/P = real rental rate Total labour income: (W/P)L = MPL*L W = nominal wage P = price of output W/P = real wage L = labour MPL = marginal productivity of labour Total capital income: (R/P)K = MPK*K R = nominal rental price P = price of output K = capital MPK = marginal productivity of capital Production function with constant returns to scale: Y = MPL*L + MPK*K Y is national income MPL*L (marginal productivity of labour * labour) is labour income MPK*K (marginal productivity of capital * capital) is capital income Disposable income: Y T Y = total income T = total taxes Consumption function: C = C(Y - T) As (Y-T) increases, so does C The marginal propensity to consume is the increase in C caused by a one-unit increase in disposable income C = consumer spending Y = total income T = total taxes Investment function: I = I(r) r = real interest rate (the nominal interest rate corrected for inflation) I = investment Aggregate demand: C(Y - T) +I(r) + G Where Y, T and G are fixed/exogenous C = consumer spending Y = total income T = taxes I = investment r = real interest rate
More Less

Related notes for ECON 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit