Economics
Course
ECON 2000
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Study Notes Chapters 1 and 2 • Endogenous vs. exogenous variables • Definition of Y, C, G, I and NX; stock vs. flow • Investment: new PP&L, new housing, increase in inventory (unsold goods) • GNP – GDP = factor payments from abroad minus factor payments to abroad • Gross national income = GDP – net income of foreigners • Net national income = gross national income – depreciation (capital consumption allowances) • National income = gross national income – indirect business taxes o Net interest = interest paid by domestic businesses – interest received + interest earned from foreigners • Imputed values: “rent” homeowners pay themselves and wages of public service workers GDP deflator = 100× Nominal GDP Real GDP • Personal income = national income – corporate profits – social insurance contributions – net interest + dividends + gov’t transfers to individuals + personal interest income → to get personal disposable income subtract personal tax payments • Nominal vs. real GDP o The GDP deflator is a weighted average of prices o GDP deflator = quantity × price /real GDP = (quantity/real GDP) × price • % change in (X  Y )  % change in X + % change in Y → with division use subtraction • Chain-weighted real GDP updates price every year; constant-price real GDP is less accurate • CPI index: Laspeyers (fixed basket, overstates inflation), Paasche (changing basket, understates inf.), Fisher (average of the two measured by square root of their product) o CPI = cost of basket in month Y/cost of basket in base period • The CPI is a weighted average of prices o CPI = (quantity of good in basket/base year CPI) × price of good • CPI bias: unmeasured changes in quality, substitution bias, introduction of new goods o Overstates inflation • CPI includes imported consumer goods; GDP deflator includes capital goods, “basket” changes every year • Employed, unemployed, labour force, Okun’s law (less GDP → more unemployment) • Overall price level and inflation can be measured by CPI or GDP deflator Chapter 3. Closed Economy • Production function: Y = F(K,L) → constant returns to scale where aY = F(aK,aL) o Increasing returns: aY < F(aK,aL) decreasing returns aY > F(aK,aL) • Assume that K, L, and Y are fixed • MPL = F (K, L + 1) – F (K, L) → hire labour until MPL = W/P = real wage • Rent capital until MPK = R/P = real rental rate; P = price of output • Diminishing marginal returns if only one factor is increased Y = MPL×L + MPK ×K • Neoclassical Theory of Distribution: each factor input is paid its marginal product – no economic profit given a competitive market and constant returns to scale α 1−α Y = AK L o Accounting profit = MPK×K + economic profit • Cobb-Douglas production function where  = capital’s share of total income o A= level of technology;  is between 0 and 1; constant returns to scale o MPK = Y/K; MPL = (1-)Y/L o Increase in capital raises MPL and lowers MPK; increase in labour lowers MPL and increases MPK; increase inAraises both marginal products proportionally o Y/L is average labour productivity; Y/K is average capital productivity • Disposable income = Y – T → C = C(Y – T) → positive relation o Marginal propensity to consume – increase in C when Y – T increases by $1 • I = I (r) → I is inversely related with real interest rate (cost of borrowing) • Government spending and taxes are exogenous • Equilibrium when aggregate supply = aggregate demand o Y (K ,L)=C (Y−T)+G+I(r) → r is the only endogenous variable that adjusts to equate the sides • Loanable funds: demand = investment, supply = saving, price = real interest rate • National saving = public saving + private saving = (T – G) + (Y – T – C) = Y – G – C o C = MPC  (Y  T) = MPC Y  MPC T • Balanced budget: T = G, budget surplus T > G, budget deficit T < G o In case of budget deficit gov’t issues Treasury bonds to finance spending • National saving does not depend on r so supply of loanable funds is a vertical line S =Y −C(Y −T ) −G o r adjusts to equilibrate the goods market and the loanable funds market simultaneously o In equilibrium, saving equals investment, which depends on r Chapter 4. Classical Theory of Inflation MV =PY • Quantity equation: → money supply  velocity = total transactions d • Money demand: (M/P) = kY → k is how much money people wish to hold for each dollar of income (exogenous); k = 1/V o Assume that V is constant so its rate of change is 0 o Inflation rate: π =ΔP/P =ΔM/M –ΔY/Y • Implies that money growth rate is the only factor causing inflation because Y is given • Seignorage – gov’t revenue from printing money; causes “inflation tax” by decreasing value of money • Fisher equation: i = r +  → i is nominal interest rate unadjusted for inflation o Fisher effect: an increase in  causes an equal increase in i o i = r + E → E = expected inflation rate o i – E = ex ante real interest rate: the real interest rate people expect at the time they buy a bond or take out a loan o i – = ex post real interest rate: the real interest rate actually realized • Money demand depends positively on Y and negatively on i = L(r +Eπ,Y ) (M P) = L(i ,Y ) o Money supply and demand determine the price level → determines → determines i → determines money demand o For given values of r, Y, and E ,a change in M causes P to change by the same % o Increase in  causes a decrease in real money balances • In the long run E =  on average; in the short run E may cause a change in P without a change in M → increase in E increases P and decreases M/P to new equilibrium • In the long run, real wages are determined by MPL and labour supply, not inflation o Classical view of inflation: change in the price level is merely a change in the units of measurement • Costs of expected inflation: shoeleather cost, menu costs, relative price distortions, unfair tax treatment (tax on nominal not real income), general inconvenience o One benefit: reduces real wages without nominal wage cuts • Extra costs of unexpected inflation: arbitrary redistribution of purchasing power (borrowers and lenders), increased uncertainty (high inflation is highly variable) • Hyperinflation:   50% per month → huge costs on society o Caused by excessive growth of money supply • Classical dichotomy: theoretical separation of real and nominal variables in the classical model, which implies nominal variables do not affect real variables • Neutrality of money: changes in the money supply do not affect real variables Chapters 4 and 19. Money • M = C + D → money supply = currency (outstanding bills and coins) + demand deposits • In a fractional-reserve banking system, banks create money by lending a fraction of their deposits • Total money supply = (1/rr )  original deposit, where rr = ratio of reserves to deposits • Financial intermediation – process of transferring funds from savers to borrowers • Creation of money by the banking system increases the economy’s liquidity, not wealth • Leverage: use of borrowed money to supplement existing funds for purposes of investment; leverage ratio = assets/capital • Capital requirement: minimum amount of capital banks must hold to ensure they will be able to pay off depositors • Exogenous variables: o Monetary base: B = C + R → controlled by the central bank o Reserve-deposit ratio: rr = R/D → depends on regulations and bank policies o Currency-deposit ratio: cr = C/D → depends on households’preferences • Money multiplier: m = (C + D) / B = (cr +1) / (cr + rr) M = m × B o Increase in B increases M by the same %; decrease in rr or cr raises m and M • Monetary policy is conducted by Central Bank to control money supply o Open market operations: buying a bond → increasing money in the economy; selling a bond → reducing the money supply o Discount rate: the interest rate the Fed charges on loans to banks; higher rate → smaller monetary base  Deposit-switching – switching of federal gov’t bonds between the Bank of Canada and the chartered banks to regulate the money supply o Cannot fix both the quantity and the price of our currency → floating exchange rate permits independent monetary policy o The Fed can change rr by imposing reserve requirements or changing the interest rate it pays on deposits of banks o Households and banks holding excess reserves can also impact M Chapter 5. Small Open economy • Spending need not equal output; saving need not equal investment • Trade balance = NX = X – M = X – (C + I + G) = Y – (C + I + G) • Trade surplus: output > spending; exports > imports; size of the trade surplus = NX • Trade deficit: spending > output; imports > exports; size of the trade deficit = -NX • Net capital outflow = S – I; if S is greater – net lender; if I is greater – net borrower • NX = S – I → trade balance = net capital outflow → a country with trade deficit (NX< 0) is a net borrower (S < I) • Supply of loanable funds is S=Y−C(Y−T)−G ́ ́ and demand is I(r*) where r* is world interest rate o r* + θ → world interest rate plus country-specific risk premium, we assume it’s 0 o Assume perfect capital mobility (no restrictions on international trade in assets) and that domestic and foreign bonds are perfect substitutes r∗¿ o N X=S−I¿ → r* is exogenous and does not adjust for equilibrium • Fiscal policies starting at balanced trade: o Change in fiscal policy at home that reduces national saving or stimulates domestic investment spending results in trade deficit o Increase in the world interest rate due to a fiscal expansion abroad leads to trade surplus • e = nominal exchange rate, the relative price of domestic currency in terms of foreign currency • ε = real exchange rate, the relative price of domestic goods in terms of foreign goods P∗¿ e×P yen per$× yen perunitof USgoods o ε = → yenperunitof Japanesegoods ¿ o The higher ε, the cheaper the foreign goods are relative to domestic goods → higher imports and lower exports → lower NX o ε can be applied to relative prices of consumer baskets or total output • Net exports function: NX = NX(ε) → inverse relationship NXε( ) =S I r( * ) o ε is a vertical line on the graph • ε is the only variable that adjusts to ensure equilibrium o S – I(r*) is a vertical line • Trade policies re
More Less

Related notes for ECON 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit